Author Topic: 1967 Shelby K/H steel wheels  (Read 7777 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
1967 Shelby K/H steel wheels
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
Finally got my window sticker from Marti and find that my car came with NO optional wheels.
Great.
So not only will the car have Lime Gold for color it will have steel wheels and hubcaps (for Concours). I guess . . .

[on edit -- the following applies to 68, not 67!]
After some K/H research I gather I need the 15x6 K/H "Kx 1" or "Kx 2" where x is most likely 2 (Windsor Ontario). So, "K2 1" or "K2 2".
And yes, it must have 3 (actually 4 for 68) nubs on the hub (for dog dish retainment).
The above dates I estimated based upon my March build date. Can the dates go further back, like to December?

Did all Shelby wheels come from Ontario or did they come from any of the 4 K/H plants?

From the SAAC site here is a typical 68 decode:
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
K2  12  (valvestem)  26 6
and in the center
12  67 Fomoco KW

K= Kelsey (Hayes)
2= Windsor Ontario plant
12= Month, December
26= Day as in 26th
6= Wheel width
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Anything else I should know?
As stated in the EDIT, this info applies to 68, not 67!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:24:10 AM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Shelby K/H steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:03:41 AM »
Finally got my window sticker from Marti and find that my car came with NO optional wheels.
Great.
So not only will the car have Lime Gold for color it will have steel wheels and hubcaps (for Concours). I guess . . .

After some K/H research I gather I need the 15x6 K/H "Kx 1" or "Kx 2" where x is most likely 2 (Windsor Ontario). So, "K2 1" or "K2 2".
And yes, it must have 3 nubs on the hub (for dog dish retainment).
The above dates I estimated based upon my March build date. Can the dates go further back, like to December?

Did all Shelby wheels come from Ontario or did they come from any of the 4 K/H plants?

From the SAAC site here is a typical 67 decode:
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
K2  12  (valvestem)  26 6
and in the center
12  67 Fomoco KW

K= Kelsey (Hayes)
2= Windsor Ontario plant
12= Month, December
26= Day as in 26th
6= Wheel width
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Anything else I should know?
The shape of the center that is welded to the rim because numbers can not be read sometimes for various reasons.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »
I'm back to this topic as I'm getting some conflicting information on steel wheels for 67 Shelbys.

Some say these wheels are supposed to have cat's eyes. Pic one is of a cat's eye wheel, as I understand it. I found this one on a highway light trailer!

Pic 2 is what some of the wheel guys tell me is what my car is supposed to have.

Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:49:12 AM »
Here is a 67 Shelby steel wheel. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
Definitely not your second picture. I suppose the guys telling you that are selling them?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »
I'm back to this topic as I'm getting some conflicting information on steel wheels for 67 Shelbys.

Some say these wheels are supposed to have cat's eyes. Pic one is of a cat's eye wheel, as I understand it. I found this one on a highway light trailer!

Pic 2 is what some of the wheel guys tell me is what my car is supposed to have.

When looking at Bob's example, I would say NEITHER of the two pictures are correct. Notice the 4-gaps where the center of the wheel meets the outer ring. small vs. larger. Also, pay attention to this area and the curved nature of the inside 1-2" wide area between the dog dish lips and the outer ring of the wheel area. Some are somewhat flat while what you look for should be somewhat curved. Center hole of later Ford wheels is typically too large also. Note valve stem hole size, white wheel is large, it is wrong for that also.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
Here is a 67 Shelby steel wheel.

Thanks for the pic, Bob. That is a very good, clear picture.
Will you look at that tire!

Definitely not your second picture. I suppose the guys telling you that are selling them?
I had a major reseller/builder of steel rims tell me he has never seen a cat's eye in all the years he's been doing wheels. He offered to sell me the wrong wheel for $200 ea. saying he has a lot of Shelby customers who use his wheels.

When looking at Bob's example, I would say NEITHER of the two pictures are correct. Notice the 4-gaps where the center of the wheel meets the outer ring. small vs. larger. Also, pay attention to this area and the curved nature of the inside 1-2" wide area between the dog dish lips and the outer ring of the wheel area. Some are somewhat flat while what you look for should be somewhat curved. Center hole of later Ford wheels is typically too large also. Note valve stem hole size, white wheel is large, it is wrong for that also.

It's amazing what people will tell you when you are trying to buy wheels. I haven't had a good picture of the correct wheel until Bob posted that pic. It validates a number of things I've heard and a few things that weren't clear.

67s appear to be real oddballs in that you have to have to have the A) cat's eyes, B) the three lugs for dog caps (which K/H stopped doing in 67, so all later wheels have 4 lugs), C) the raised areas between lug nuts is quite wide, and I think the rims are welded to the centers.

For those thinking "well, at least these are cost effective", just the wheels usually cost more than repop Magstars or 10 spokes and the hubcaps are really hard to find in decent shape. I've been collecting the later and it takes quite a few sets to make one or two decent hubcaps.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 01:00:00 AM »
Thanks for the pic, Bob. That is a very good, clear picture.
Will you look at that tire!

Believe that is a picture I posted a number of times. Was the spare from ia GT350 in the 2000 range (thermactor 4 speed non-AC car)

Think its still wrapped up and doubled bag next to another that I found that was on (yes with the speed way tire) a 67 T bird at a pick and pull yard years ago.  Unfortunately car had only one small letter speedway on it
The term "cats eyes" is often used to describe the cut outs in 65-66  shelby steel wheel.s

The wheels are out there on other model Ford  products - things at often the hardest to find when you need them and when you don't you fall across them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 01:53:31 AM »
Yeah, I should have searched the site harder.

After searching around the 'net it appears that the few people who have them want some glorious money. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I hate getting royally hosed.

I like your idea of wrecking yards. I need to scour the many we have in this area and get down and dirty. The place I bought my parts car has some older cars and might be a good place to start.

At least now the correct wheel style has been validated.
Bill

Offline Brian Styles

• 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
Hey Bill,

Just an FYI (albeit late) -- a Marti report is not the authoritative answer as to which wheels are correct for your '67 GT.

Marti obtains his information for your car from the Ford record.
As far as Ford was concerned, all '67 Shelbys received "Customer Supplied" wheels, tires and lug nuts. This is how it was written on the DSO and the SVO.

The authoritative answer as to which wheels are correct for your car lies in the Shelby paperwork, specifically the Production Order and/or the Invoice if  you have one. Hopefully you have one or both of these documents.

If neither piece of paper exists for your car, stay tuned as this is one of the more aggressive projects we're working on. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:24:11 PM by bstyles »

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
Hi Brian -- I've gone through the DSO database which lists all cars and the major equipment on each and mine is listed as a hubcap car. Not definitive, but ...
My dealer invoice lists nothing about additional wheels.

By now I hope it's a hubcap car as I've source about 20 hubcaps in various states. From those I can make 4 really, really nice originals. I managed to get one absolutely brand new T-bird variety, never been on the car condition and still in the Ford box. It's gorgeous.

I've shown the caps to various Mustang and Shelby guys and they come away agreeing that these things are just cool.

Bill

Offline Brian Styles

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
Hey Bill,

By "DSO Database" do you mean Roy  Simkin's "DSO Project?"
Bear in mind that Roy's priceless contribution to the online world is 100% based on the information scraped from the printed 2011 SAAC Registry.
The registry has errors, and during the scraping process, Roy has introduced even more errors.
As you probably have seen, I've been working hard to identify these discrepancies over at the www.1967shelbyresearch.com group and have been communicating with both Dave and Roy to make sure that the near future will hold 100% verification between the published sources.

Regardless, if your car is not one of the first couple hundred cars built (which all received Mag Stars), and the car's SAI Invoice does not have an itemized charge for Deluxe or Shelby wheels, then it's a pretty safe bet that your car had Steel wheels fitted at San Jose and left SAI the same way.

So, is your car a radio-equipped car or a non-radio car?

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 12:32:06 AM »
Brian,

It's the DSO listing at techent.

I forgot to mention I have the SAI invoice for my car which lists no wheels either.
Interestingly it doesn't list extra cooling and some other items that the Marti does, but does list the AM radio, which the Marti doesn't.

4 Gals of gas for $1.20 !
Bill

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »
Bill,
The production order sheet for my 67, #1317 says Stockton-Quincy Ford, Westwood, Calif.
model # 67 402 F7A, Shelby Seral # 01317, Key number, Completion Date and when order was received.
Below it says,
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT   
Wheels Standard     Shelby    Other     Radio         Other
        XX                                                          Pico Rivera Inventory

Have you checked with Dave if SAAC has this sheet for your car?
Texas Swede

Offline Brian Styles

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Brian,

It's the DSO listing at techent.

I forgot to mention I have the SAI invoice for my car which lists no wheels either.
Interestingly it doesn't list extra cooling and some other items that the Marti does, but does list the AM radio, which the Marti doesn't.

4 Gals of gas for $1.20 !

Yes, the s-techent domain is Roy Simkins' DSO Project (one-in-the-same).

Again, the Marti report is taken from the Ford record.

All Shelbys received the Extra Cooling Package.
They need not have been ordered (DSO) with that line item, nor would the Ford record necessarily reflect that item, because the ECP sub-components may have been part of another core component.
Case-and-point: cars with Air Conditioning would have automatically received the components found in the ECP package (radiator, cooling fan, fan shroud), so there was no need to specifically itemize the ECP on the orders.

As far as the AM radio goes, if it's not listed on the Marti (ford record), then it wasn't installed at San Jose. The fact that it's listed on your Invoice means that it was added to the car by SAI at LAX.

I'll create a post on the ECP topic over at www.1967shelbyresearch.com if you'd like to discuss and not further hijack this wheel thread (sorry.)