Author Topic: San Jose 69 Mach 1 question on bottom color  (Read 1242 times)

Offline acman63

San Jose 69 Mach 1 question on bottom color
« on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
Helping out a local guy with a red/dark red interior car and he asked me what color the bottom side should be.  been looking for posts here and nothing.  maybe I missed them,  used to Dearborn cars . 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:59:03 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: San Jose 69 Mach 1 question on bottom color
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:55 PM »
Jim it would be red oxide epoxy primer sealer from about firewall forward and from firewall rearward a batch color. Normally the dark gray versions with a slight blue, purple or green tint. If you knew a VIN or a built date I might be able to provide some examples.  I'm guessing his original paint or floors are long gone since that would be the first place to look as you know (provided for other viewers ;) And of course with the exterior and pinch weld black out overspray

Pictures of one example can be found here in an earlier post

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15252.msg95152#msg95152
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the information on my San Jose 69 Mach 1.  The scheduled build date was 08/68 and the actual build was 10/68.  The VIN is 9R02R107106.  Any other information would be beneficial.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
Welcome Daven

There are allot of details related to refinishing/restoring the undercarriage of any of the cars. If you look in the Library section of the site you will find (for example) an article on refinishing the undercarriage of 69 Dearborn Mustangs for example.  I've not done one for the 69 San Jose cars yet as there has been not as much demand for those details as some other years.

As always the best source for any of these details is the original car.  The batch colors used on the undercarriage varied slightly from day to day (generic terms). All of these details and how they were applied depended on a set of workers that did the task over and over often establishing patterns but those examples only helps establish what was typical. Not always what was done on your particular car. If your car was damaged, stripped or the details somehow erased then you will have to rely on what was typically done so we can work from that point forward

If you look at the 69 Dearborn article many fo the details and tasks preformed there are similar to what San Jose did. Batch color from about the firewall rearward followed by the firewall forward with red oxide epoxy sealer.  The biggest difference is how the front wheel wells were finished.

If you have a Mach I about 50% of the floor will be covered in a final step with sound deadener hiding some of the details that will be provided
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here are a couple of floor color examples from around the same time as your car at San Jose

Red arrow = Batch color   
Blue arrow =  Exterior/Body color overspray

Overall look some of it would be covered by Mach I sound deadener

Yellow arrow = Pinch weld black out
Blue arrow = Exterior paint
Purple arrow = Batch color
Sorry its a unrestored and dirty car

---------------------------------
Front frame rails

You can barely make out the front dolly mark

---------------------------------
Sealants over the floor/batch color

Rocker to main floor seam seal

Inner seat belt anchors

Trunk drop edge sealant. Much has flaked and fallen off but pattern and coverage is still shown

Got questions - ask   :)  Hope this helps

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Other related threads include some of the following

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15492.msg96861#msg96861

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2199.msg11193#msg11193

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4656.msg25892#msg25892

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Almost forgot  - Sound deadener

Typically applied after the car was partially assembled in three passes of the application wand while the worker stood in a pit below the car and move rearward slightly. Where he stood, moved and applied produced shadows from the front frame rails, emergency brake cables and other brackets as shown. One example from around your cars production period.

SD1

SD2

SD3

SD4

SD5

SD6

Jeff Speegle

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »
Thank you again Jeff Speegle.

Daven