Author Topic: 67 San Jose Shelby  (Read 183 times)

Offline Bossbill

• 20 minutes from Pacific Raceways
67 San Jose Shelby
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
You've been putting up with me for a number of weeks now, so I thought I'd show you the reason for my latest flurry of posts ... an early May SJ Shelby GT350.
The restoration was started almost 20 years ago, but major house projects, other car projects, plus SCCA style racing keep this car on the back burner. Actually off the stove.

Here is the original car, more than 20 years ago:

And here it is today:

A shot of the complete metal work on the floor by hammer welding the floor replacement panels:

Major body work is done, you've followed along on the matching number fenders and the replacement rear deck. The rest of the car is mostly stock metal, save for some partial floor replacements. The doors are original as is the rest of the fiberglass.

The non-stock traction bar stuff is gone, so a little red oxide repaint and on to the concours prep for paint (sealer and other fun stuff).

Bill V.
3/2/1967 SJ GT350 and other fastbacks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 San Jose Shelby
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:13 PM »
Looks great!   Life has a way of happening and sometime toys have to wait. Glad it's moved to the front burner!!  :)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
looking good but don't forget to replicate the dolly marks.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
looking good but don't forget to replicate the dolly marks.

look again :)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
I have a lot of pics and chose this one more for it's lighting than anything else.
 I'm working on the correct dolly hold down marks in the trunk.

On edit ... I use balloons in holes to keep paint from going through to the interior.
The comments on dolly marks made me look and I see I have large washers in use as the faux dolly. This was years before I saw the library thread on how to really do them right.
Still thinking about this.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:37:59 PM by Bossbill »
Bill V.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
An update since I posted the pictures above. Some of this is a recap from some other posting in this forum, but included here as a summary.

* Procured a correct (but lightly damaged) fiberglass trunk lid. Also found some uncut NOS keys.
* Repaired and used red oxide (RO) on the original front fenders after having them dipped, acid etched and rust converted. The repair involved a bottom corner which mandated a reassembly of the hinges and door in order to verify lineups. There is no bleed from the dipping process.
* Sanded down the entire interior of the car in preparation for RO and then the overspray of light primer and body color. Procured a seam sealer pressure gun, but the cap was missing so seam sealing is on hold.
* Thanks to "Midlife" I have a much nicer fuse box and he is also sending me some front harness headlight connectors to repair the SA 3M Scotchlok issues (these damned things eat wires alive). Started cleaning up wire looms and will re-wrap them using my newly found harness vinyl. Cleaning each and every wire poking out of all the looms. I now have 496 spare Scotchloks.
* Used a scotch pad and gave some tooth to the entire backside of the dash and under cowl. That was fun. Painted the entire back of the dash with metal look Rustoleum. That was as much fun as scotch pad! This area will get RO near the floors and have the correct dash color overspray when the dash gets painted. Waiting on that paint from the painter.
Also used the metal look in areas of the trunk that don't always get paint to replicate bare metal.
* Doors have been stripped of all interior color. Waiting on dash paint here too.
* Removed the traction bar setup and ROed the repair. Found another area with a pin prick hole and replaced with metal, then RO.
* While I had a RO mix, I removed the paint from the trunk interior at the trolley site, cleared the metal, placed appropriate sized washers on the area and bolted the whole affair down (including under the car) for final seam sealers and color sprays.

Here is a pic the back of the dash because we all like pictures . The gloss is mostly from the flash.

and finally this afternoon, I taped off and then sprayed the interior (except for the dash and firewall) with RO.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:49:54 PM by Bossbill »
Bill V.