Author Topic: Unrestored - Early 66 Shelby Picture Thread  (Read 388 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unrestored - Early 66 Shelby Picture Thread
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:08:04 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same and many of the Shelby specific details can vary allot depending on when they were at that plant. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

Cars' VIN is -  6S4xx (the very early part of that range  ;) We have no real build date information on the car but the projected build date was in October 1965. Car was photographed at a car show Bob Gaines and I were attending.

Car was reported to have been partically disassembled in 1969 and left outside until the 80's when it was purchased, cleaned up, reassembled and mechanics repaired so it could be driven and used. At the time the pictures were taken the car had approx 51K miles showing

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

E1 Passenger side rocker pinch weld black out. Jet or painter got a little higher than normal on this side

E2 Passenger rear quarter pinch weld black out - more like typically seen

E3 Rear valance retaining screws. As expected one prepaint flat head Phillips and one unpainted post paint pan head Phillips. Often the painted one is found in the third hole from the end...... not this time

E4 Side stripe finish at the door opening

E5 Stripes at front grill opening. Easy to see that the trim was masked off and in place when the stripes were applied.  Not like you'll see on many "restored" cars at shows   ::) Front and rear bumpers were not removed, nor the window trim when the car was masked off and striped

E6 Transition panel below the rear window

E7 Top of the tail light panel and gas filler treatment on this particular car

E8 You can see in the shadow of the rear bumper (raining that day) the reflection of how (on this car) they masked across the taillight panel. Something not done on most of the 66's IMHO from observation

E9 Rear valance shot. Different Again please remember that the way the top stripes were painted on the car varied depending on when the car was painted at Shelby America. The method of masking at the trunk and rear valance/bumper are very different on this car compared to later and even earlier cars from examples on file

E10 Masking tape they used for this car appears to be pretty thin as this blow out(very typical to find at panel bends) shows

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Unrestored - Early 66 Shelby Picture Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:46 PM »
Interior

I1

I2

I3 Dash with tach and radio block off

I4 Bottom of the door paint edges. Similar to what we've seen other other original examples though these workers appear to have place maskign tape at the end of the door mask creating the squared off end where the interior and exterior colors come together inside the weatherstrip

I5 Bottom of the door paint edge. Same different sort of squared off end

More sections later
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:12:38 AM »
Disclaimer: :)
Cars' VIN is -  6S4xx (the very early part of that range  ;) We have no real build date information on the car but the projected build date was in October 1965.

E3 Rear valance retaining screws. As expected one prepaint flat head Phillips and one unpainted post paint pan head Phillips. Often the painted one is found in the third hole from the end...... not this time

Thank you. This confirms that my San Jose Oct 18, 1965 build GT "K" Fastback has the second from each end screws painted as I have insisted all along. Obviously this applies to this plant, this model year, this time period. I will apply this information to my San Jose Oct 15, 1965 build "A" code Hardtop.
(Don't talk me out of it this time.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
In case you were wondering, that orange stuff on the bottom of the doors is surface rust!   ;) :)

Nice pics, thanks for posting.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
Next installment -

TRUNK

T1 Bottom fo the trunk lid in all its glory. Not so unusual brush pattern for the weather strip adhesive though IMHO tends to have happened more towards a bottom corner. Must have been a pain learning to put the gasket on with the trunk lid in place.

T2 Most of the wad of unpainted dum-dum has fallen out of the hole over the years. Didn't look to see if it was down in the well.

T3

T4 Couple of extra holes for mounting something  ::)  Grey trunk screw protectors.  It appears that this car got lucky ;) and had the one trunk hinge that had the shipping label attached to it. Worker didn't remove it, just tore all the paper away, leaving the hole protectors (normally have the paper union stamp on them) and attached it to the car to be painted with the car . 1 in 100 ???? :)

T5 Back side of trap door, latching mech and back side on interior panels - unpainted. Often you will see repainted or "restored" cars where the backs got painted, during the repaint trunk color or interior color

T6 Another screw protector and the passenger side interior light wire routing and clip

T7 Example of the rear trunk edge to taillight panel  as well as rear bumper support sealant

T8 Passenger side quarter panel extension area

Until next post
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
Engine Compartment

EC1Relocated hood bumper with marks in paint from the fender bolt

EC2

EC3

EC4 What's missing in this picture?

EC5

EC6 Transition from engine compartment black to body color

EC7 That's allot of of export brace sealant

EC8 Master cylinder area

EC9 Firewall sealant example

EC10 Throttle linkage

EC11 Some changes but basically allot like it came

EC12 Engine compartment front

EC13

Undercarriage next :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 01:45:55 AM »
The monte carlo bar missing in picture EC4 yet appears in EC12?  The hood bumper that is relocated to fender bolt spot, is that on only early Shelbys or all and would it be on Hertz cars?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:48:59 AM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:44:45 AM »
The monte carlo bar missing in picture EC4 yet appears in EC12? 

The hood bumper that is relocated to fender bolt spot, is that on only early Shelbys or all and would it be on Hertz cars?

That is a 65-66 Shelby detail for regular production cars and yes on Hertz cars. The location of the hood bumper on a Mustang is used for the mounting/attachment of the hood pins Picture E12
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »
Good pick up on the MC bar, I was thinking there should be washers under the shock mount bolts??   ???
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
Good pick up on the MC bar, I was thinking there should be washers under the shock mount bolts??   ???
There should be and there are washers under the shock mounting bolts in the picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
 I see star washers but I was thinking there were a little larger in diameter and a flat washer?  So much to learn..  8)
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
I see star washers but I was thinking there were a little larger in diameter and a flat washer?  So much to learn..  8)

For others picture EC4 is a close up of the large washer welded to the top of the shock upper mount found on export cars and Shelbys. Under the bolt that holds the shocks to the mount is a start washer just a little larger in diameter than the head of the bolt. This bolt has a larger head and different shape from a standard Mustang
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
Thanks for the clarity on this Jeff. That's what I must have been trying to remember, the washer under the shock. I tried searching the web and found nothing above the shock so I just chalked it up as being wrong. I will say that the larger diameter bolt is a must, as you have to be dead on to get the standard bolt to work. I need to swap out the standard bolts with the larger ones on my clone. I also never knew that Shelby used hood bumpers where the first fender bolt was located. Pretty neat. :)

Question on the steering wheel. Didn't Shelby use the deluxe Ford steering wheel with the Shelby center?? This car seems to have the super deluxe wheel I am used to seeing on the 65's. Was this an option and/or a changeover thing?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the clarity on this Jeff. That's what I must have been trying to remember, the washer under the shock. I tried searching the web and found nothing above the shock so I just chalked it up as being wrong. I will say that the larger diameter bolt is a must, as you have to be dead on to get the standard bolt to work. I need to swap out the standard bolts with the larger ones on my clone. I also never knew that Shelby used hood bumpers where the first fender bolt was located. Pretty neat. :)

Question on the steering wheel. Didn't Shelby use the deluxe Ford steering wheel with the Shelby center?? This car seems to have the super deluxe wheel I am used to seeing on the 65's. Was this an option and/or a changeover thing?
It is nether a 65 GT350 wheel , factory option, or a change over thing. They wheel is a accessory wheel made to fit a 65 or 66 Mustang/Shelby that you could purchase from the Shelby catalog or order over the counter from a Shelby authorized Ford dealer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
So then ALL 66' Shelby's would have had the Ford deluxe wheel with the Shelby center?