Author Topic: 390 Engine/trans Dating  (Read 75 times)

Offline carguytroy

390 Engine/trans Dating
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »
Hi all, Iím in the process of acquiring a 1967 S code convertible. The current owner says he has the engine and trans for the car, however he did buy it with the engine and trans out of the car. Say that it is not the original engine/trans. What are the options for getting the right dated set up? And where and what codes would I be looking for? The car has a build date of 7/12/1967 according to the Marti report he sent me. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 390 Engine/trans Dating
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
Hi all, Iím in the process of acquiring a 1967 S code convertible. The current owner says he has the engine and trans for the car, however he did buy it with the engine and trans out of the car. Say that it is not the original engine/trans. What are the options for getting the right dated set up? And where and what codes would I be looking for? The car has a build date of 7/12/1967 according to the Marti report he sent me.

Each cast piece (ex heads, block, intake exhaust manifolds...)  that makes up the engine will have a casting date and the stamped steel items (valve covers and often oil pan) will have dates also.  Carburetor as well as distributors will have dates also. Many of these are shown as well as how to decode them in an article you will find in the Library of this site. Items such as distributors and carbs are different depending on the specific application so these items from another engine/car may not be correct for your application so check those identification numbers also.

Your options are identifying and locating if not the engine you have an alternative one with dates that would be similar to what your car likely had originally.  Since it doesn't sound like the PO had the original that is the best you can do at this point unless something really really happens and somehow the original engine and trans pops up.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)