Author Topic: Concours driven, Seat and Headliner -- original or replace/recover?  (Read 247 times)

Offline Bossbill

• 20 minutes from Pacific Raceways
In the concours driven class, is it preferable to have a slightly less than perfect original seat cover or a perfect TMI (or pick your favorite) cover?

Same question on headliner.

Bill V.
3/2/1967 SJ GT350 and other fastbacks

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Concours driven, Seat and Headliner -- original or replace/recover?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
You'll lose points for condition in concours, everything has to look like new.  If they are really nice other than a few blems, they could be useful to someone with an Unrestored car or possibly Thoroughbred.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
In the concours driven class, is it preferable to have a slightly less than perfect original seat cover or a perfect TMI (or pick your favorite) cover?

No - its not preferred or expected to see that
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »

Many Shelby restorers invest in and search out original upholstery in the case of comfortweave and have a upholstery shop make up the set from scratch. That is what I always do. I want the upholstery to look new as expected but not less then original like the reproduction comfortweave upholstery material. There are other details like welting that some repro company's don't get correct ether. It has to do with what expectations you have and the compromises you are willing to make for the effort to make the best sense for you.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
Just to add a thought to this discussion.  Buy your seat foam first if you are going to replace that as well.  If you have the covers sewn up make sure they get the measurements off the seat foam you are using to get a proper fit.  I try not to mix foam from one manufacturer and covers from another as this can cause fitment issues.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 06/68

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
Thanks. In contact with a source who will send a sample.

I'll find the thread about dashes and ask about that one there.
Bill V.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »
I should have included the soft dash in my query, but after seeing a reproduction 67 dash today all I can say is "Gag!"
That has to rank as one of the top 5 most miserable reproductions ever made. Right up there with the heater plenum.

The mice did a number on mine so I'm searching out originals. Between the dash and my SJ firewall pad going missing, I'm feeling  a bit sad. I can't locate my other plenum either. It may now be a mouse nest.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:52:43 PM by Bossbill »
Bill V.