Author Topic: Location/size/shape of floor pan aperature for parking brake in 68 convertible  (Read 520 times)

Offline Bluepony

Coming down to the final assembly steps for my 68 J-code convertible and am running into a problem installing the parking brake.  The body shop had to replace all of the floor pans and the front left pan was tossed without taking note of the size, shape, and position of the hole in the floor pan/firewall where the parking brake cable passes from the passenger compartment to the engine compartment.  The new pan obviously does not have this feature.  I was able to restore the original parking brake hardware from the handle all the way to the rear brake levers.  The rubber tube that sticks through this hole is around 13/16" OD and about 2 1/4" long.  I have to believe the hole is oval shaped since the cable penetrates the pan at a very shallow angle.  If anyone has this info or a picture of it that I could possibly scale, I would be forever grateful.
Craig Stambaugh
'68 Convertible J-Code Brittany Blue
'64 1/2 Coupe F-Code Silversmoke Gray

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Here is what I found in my collection. Sorry none of these was focusing on the specific hole or question.

Maybe others have something they can share if they happen to have their cars apart
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Ken S

Hello, I've been lurking here on occasion and this is my first post. I restored my 68 Convertible to be just a nice driver, but I appreciate a concours car and the work that goes ito it. I do have some pictures from dissassembly of my current and past cars that may be helpful. Here is one from the engine bay side... not perfect but I hope it can help. Cheers!
68 C code Highland Green Convertible

Offline Bluepony

Jeff and Ken, the pictures are very helpful, thank you!!!  Sorry it took so long to respond, but I've been pretty busy assembling other areas on the car.  I'll post a couple of pictures.  Doing some scaling of the pictures, my take is that the oval is about 3 times as long as it is wide.  Since the rubber tube is 13/16" OD, I'll probably make the width 3/4" and the length 2 1/4".  It appears to be at about a 25 degree angle, but the long axis should merely follow the angle of the cable from the parking brake control assembly.  The center of the oval appears to be at 6:00 below the steering column and just below the break of the toe board.  The cable bracket screws will be just inboard of where the rubber tube protrudes into the engine compartment.  Pictures to follow.  Thanks again!

Craig

Craig Stambaugh

Offline Bluepony

Pictures (work in progress)
Craig Stambaugh