Author Topic: 67 York Compressor Date Code Decipher  (Read 1139 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 York Compressor Date Code Decipher
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
Trying to date check a compressor...see image
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

Re: 67 York Compressor Date Code Decipher
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »
Richard your tag is in great shape, mine also has 047 which IIRC is April 67. My build was 4/28/67. Have you had any luck finding the hoses for your set up ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
Richard your tag is in great shape, mine also has 047 which IIRC is April 67. My build was 4/28/67. Have you had any luck finding the hoses for your set up ?

Kinda wish this was the condition of my tag. It is a NOS unit so I may use this to help re-ink another tag. Problem I have is that at this time, I am not sure of the right way to date these using the tag codes yet. It is very possible that the one I have is a June 67 date but my car was built early November 66 so I should most likely see an October date tag.

As far as the hoses go, I still have the 68 versions I would love to exchange out with somebody for a 67 version.

I have been waiting to re-seal the compressor I have till I know how to decode it. Between that, and the ink markings on the tag, I otherwise have a good compressor.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Deuce

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
I have a York compressor with a tag similar to Richard's.  The tag's date code 047K is similar, which would be April 1967.  Mannel (p. 7-31) says the trailing letter; K in this case, "had no date significance." 

Since I have a car that was built on 11/30/1966, I'd be looking for a Nov 66 or Oct 66 date-coded tag too.

May be just a coincidence:  047 is on the tag of the three York compressors discussed here.
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
May be just a coincidence:  047 is on the tag of the three York compressors discussed here.

Might just be that the supplier made certain applications in batches. This particular model for a day or week then moved to another model for the next time period. Building stock/inventory until they were needed to be made again

We see this in sheet metal and other parts for specific models that the plants needed in lower volume since many of the machines were needed for producing the higher volume parts and dies (for examples) were swapped in and out of presses for example
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »
Ink stamping question as well as bringing up the compressor clutch paper tag again...

Picture attached of a "RESTORED" compressor on a 67 Shelby but I wonder if ALL 67 V-8 engine Mustangs would typically have all that is seen in this image
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:36:26 PM »
Ink stamping question as well as bringing up the compressor clutch paper tag again...

Picture attached of a "RESTORED" compressor on a 67 Shelby but I wonder if ALL 67 V-8 engine Mustangs would typically have all that is seen in this image

From originals I've seen those markings are not IMHO original in their placement/location and one in design for lack of a better term. Even may be an example of migrating paint marks ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »
The so called restored compressor on the 67 Shelby is wrong in many ways. Wrong color finish,  ID stamps used on Tecumseh which the picture compressor is a York model. Stamps are not even in the typical spot when used on a Tecumseh. It has no credibility consequently and should not be used as a yardstick for correctness.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »
For the decoding discussion

Yes they are from other years but they may shed light on the coding - I do accept that they could have changed between the years but maybe not

Is interesting that not all of the compressors were refer to were made directly by York
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 09:04:32 PM »
From originals I've seen those markings are not IMHO original in their placement/location and one in design for lack of a better term. Even may be an example of migrating paint marks ;)
The so called restored compressor on the 67 Shelby is wrong in many ways. Wrong color finish,  ID stamps used on Tecumseh which the picture compressor is a York model. Stamps are not even in the typical spot when used on a Tecumseh. It has no credibility consequently and should not be used as a yardstick for correctness.

Thanks, I will disregard them. Always good to ask first.
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »
So that there is no confusion for those not familiar with Shelby compressors, 67/68 Shelby York(only one used those years) A/C compressors were painted a silver color from the mfg. It was because there were differences about them that required a different C7ZX/C8ZX engineering number.  Typically they are painted black on regular Mustangs . The lack of detail knowledge by the restorer is the point of why it was brought up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby