Author Topic: Painted my 68 S code Dearborn Fastback !  (Read 358 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
Painted my 68 S code Dearborn Fastback !
« on: November 06, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »
Hey Guys,

Just painted my 68 over the last few days.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  I've been looking at the site and finding so much good information it's overwhelming!  Hope you enjoy the pics...

Cheers
Dave

PS:  My car is a 68 GT Fastback, Highland Green, S-Code, 4spd, and a Dearborn car (yes, I know....Red Oxide....but it looks better than black! ;-) )
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:23:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
-1970 Challenger T/A
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)

Offline 1966KGT

Re: Painted my 68!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:49:50 AM »
Nice job a12!!!!!!!
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR

Offline ruppstang

Re: Painted my 68!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
Very nice! Now the real fun begins.

Offline ExportMach

Re: Painted my 68 S code Dearborn Fastback !
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »
Dave
What did you use to create the unpainted jig circles on the bottom of the frame?
Mark C
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, W

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
A couple of things I feel need to be mentioned  before you get further along :)

Remember that the rear wheel well sound deadener was applied before the body color was applied

Floor pan plugs were not installed when the body was painted

Rear valance was attached along the taillight panel when car was painted body color so all the top screws were painted

Guess you painting things backwards a bit. Since the pictures show the interior panels not yet painted. Don't forget the defroster black outs and the door mask details ;)

Like to ask. Was that the paint mark on the battery box/inner fender you found on the car during disassembly?

Making progress... now the fun starts assembling your beauty

Because of the low contrast between the exterior color and the black its hard to make out the pinch weld black out and where the body color and black are applied in the front wheel wells. Did a Black Jade 69 a few years back and had problems getting good detail pictures to show on the site because of the low contrast.  Looking at picture #4 Looks like you've not done the pinch welds yet. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »
Beautiful A12!

Jeff and all of the very knowledgeable folks here will be able to help you get it as correct as you desire.

Good luck and keep us updated with more pictures.  We love pictures!  :)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
Thanks guys!   

Jeff,  believe it or not,  most of what you said I already knew due to this site,  and what my car shows me,  but decided to do a bit differently.  I have reasons for that and will explain more tomorrow.   I'm away from home but will return tomorrow with more pics and details.  But yes... the 610 on the lower radiator crossmember and the circle with the slash was on my car.  Pics to follow.  The 610 was not under the black,  neither was the battery tray marking,  but that was under the sound deadener.  More tomorrow.....

Cheers
Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
-1970 Challenger T/A
 (8F02S)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »
Jeff,  believe it or not,  most of what you said I already knew due to this site,  and what my car shows me,  but decided to do a bit differently.  I have reasons for that and will explain more tomorrow.

You don't owe is an explanation. Its your car and choices. But I feel compelled when pictures are posted here that differences be pointed out or others will assume and copy details just because they are posted  here

But yes... the 610 on the lower radiator crossmember and the circle with the slash was on my car.  Pics to follow.  The 610 was not under the black,  neither was the battery tray marking,  but that was under the sound deadener.  More tomorrow.....

Expected both of these marks to be after paint. The second rotation I've seen applied in two different colors. The battery box one I found interesting and that was the reason I asked and I think it might be a partial marking of what might have been there originally if they followed the pattern we see on other 67 & 8 Dearborn S code examples

Just different so thought I would ask  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »
Mark C....for the prepaint frame markings,  I used vinyl letter Os and found a font that was a perfect circle.  I applied that to the frame,  then shot a little primer on it.  Pull away the sticker,  and you have a prepaint spot!  8)  I should have done this before the red oxide was sprayed, but i forgot,  so i added it later.

Jeff...I know you don't need an explanation,  but I like giving them. ;D  And I 100% agree with you.  You know how the internet is now.   If it's on there somewhere,  it's gotta be true!  Oh, and I found another marking on the radiator support on the outside of where the voltage regulator was.  A large yellow "X".  I didn't replicate that since it was under the black.  But the other two were not unless the black was sprayed so thin in those areas that it was easily worn away by wind :P.  I'll post up those pics later today.

And I did paint the pinch weld blackout... :).... with a brush... which was what my car looked like out had done.  But I was way neater than original :o. Should it also have been sprayed with a little undercarriage overspray too?  Mine was pretty worn off, but by the fender area you can clearly see it was a brush.

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:38:13 AM by A12pilot »
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
-1970 Challenger T/A
 (8F02S)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »
Here's the markings on my car before I painted it.  So Jeff.... what's the 610 mean?  And is the battery tray marking consistent with others?  Signifigance of it?  ???

The pinch weld blackout,  as you can see, very sloppy with drips and runs.  Also look under that fender edge.... looks like brush strokes?

Cheers
Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
-1970 Challenger T/A
 (8F02S)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Here's the markings on my car before I painted it.  So Jeff.... what's the 610 mean?  And is the battery tray marking consistent with others?  Signifigance of it?  ???

Referred to by many (including me) as the second rotation number. The first one was assigned to the body for the first part of the car/bodies assembly. On cars with buck tags its found stamped at the top of the tag. For the second part of assembly cars/bodies were assigned a number number since they were arranged in a different order based on how they were equipped. That number was written on the unibody in one or two places, listed in the upper left hand corner of every buildsheet related to that specific car  and at some plants and years the number was applied to individual parts or sub assemblies so that the right parts ended up on the right car

The pinch weld blackout,  as you can see, very sloppy with drips and runs.  Also look under that fender edge.... looks like brush strokes?

Looks like sprayed. The under the fender section looks like where the metal has reacted over the years and flaked the paint off since its showing a silver chalky finish rather than brush marks over the body color there. Also if brushed you would not have the runs and build up from a close spray application of black on the torque box area.  Since the car was sitting as it would when driven there is not logical way the brush application would hAve gotten as far back as the black is if they were repairing a missed/overlooked pinchweld later down the line IMHO.

What we're seeing is very typical of the normal spray application. Would also expect the pinch weld black out on the bottom of the rocker would be more defined on a brush application along the outer edge rather than the fading away form age and wear we see in your picture
Jeff Speegle

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »
Jeff,

Here's my body buck tag.   Looks like my car was part of the "recycling" campaign back then since it's a Mercury tag ;D

No 610 on it.  I have my Buildsheet but only half of it,  so the part with that number in it is the part missing I'm assuming. I need to send all this to Marti and have a new one made.

Cheers
Dave

Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
-1970 Challenger T/A
 (8F02S)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »
Yes it looks like 409 was your car's first rotation number   ;)
Cool that you got on of the repurposed door tag blank. Have found a few - just not many
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 10:58:10 PM »
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 06:52:54 AM »
...Here's my body buck tag....

No 610 on it.  I have my Buildsheet but only half of it,  so the part with that number in it is the part missing...
Yes it looks like 409 was your car's first rotation number   ;) ...

That is cool you have BOTH rotation numbers! My 67 SJ the most I have been able to find is a "64" on the fuse box (last two digits of the 3-digit 2nd rotation number)...I've had my eyes peeled for more info back when I took it apart and along the way of searching backs of original door panels, instrument cluster and such to no avail! I am hoping to one day stumble onto the first digit of the 3. I know it isn't a requirement to have it but it is nice to find them ;)

Back to the "D" found in A12pilot's original pictures, no discussion on his reproduction of the marking? I think there has been mention in other threads that a "D" is often found at that location...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:55:44 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments