Author Topic: Window regulator going south?  (Read 695 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Window regulator going south?
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »
What are the signs of a window regulator going bad? The one in the passenger door of my '65 Mustang works, but it makes strange clunking noises occasionally when I'm using it. I've checked the tightness of all the bolts and screws holding the regulator, channels, stops, etc., in place and all are snug. Any ideas? Thanks, Ron...

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Window regulator going south?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
have you checked the condition of the rollers in the channels?? those are usually the first things to go south.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:23:46 AM »
What are the signs of a window regulator going bad? The one in the passenger door of my '65 Mustang works, but it makes strange clunking noises occasionally when I'm using it.
have you checked the condition of the rollers in the channels?? those are usually the first things to go south.
Agreed. Consider that it's over 50 years old too. On one of my cars, the shaft that the window crank handle attaches to went bad. It was also the passengers side. I had an extra and replaced it. The shaft "wobbled" and a tooth skipped occasionally on the gear of the shaft to the teeth of the actuating arm.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »
Yes, checked the rollers and replaced all after finding two that were broken, but the clunking sound is still there.  Considering the age of the regulator, I'm leaning toward replacing it as the next step.  I've got the door off the car and on the bench, plus I'll be in the NPD store this weekend.  Time to do it, I think.  Thanks for the input, guys.  Ron