Author Topic: SJ End cap nuts  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
SJ End cap nuts
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:08:36 PM »
I have a 66 shelby I am getting close to paint. Hertz car. Built may 66.   When I got the car it was apart.   The AMK kit nut/stud kit I received look to be 67's.   Does anyone know what correct nuts AMK might have in the bulk kits?  I'd rather have correct originals if some one has 6 correct nuts they will sell me and what was the correct plating on them? Thanks for any help!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline jwc66k

Re: SJ End cap nuts
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »
Some pictures would help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »
First thanks for being specific with the needed info as far as here and when. Much easier providing good solid info to help out

Sorry can't provide suggestions for AMK kits. Rarely if ever purchased them. But can at least offer style and finish pictures

Pictures are from the time period you identified. Location of wire loom retainer and if it was on the car before or after paint differs depending on what part of the assembly year the car was built

On driver side this is the arrangement

On passenger side this is the arrangement

Missing the empty hole dum dum

Both side stud ends are partially painted as well as at least one retaining nut So it looks like you only need 5 nutted washers

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
Thanks Jeff!   I knew you would know what I was referring to with out posting a picture.   I did a bunch of digging last night in a few buckets of bolts and nuts I have,  I found eight of nuts that you show in the last picture posted, the small washer style. I found one of the large washer style.  So it looks like the large washer style is what I am looking for.  So thanks for posting the picture.  I'll take a picture of the one I have and hopefully someone will have some I can purchase!   Thanks!
MCA#31064

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »
I don't believe AMK sells the correct 65-66 ones.  I usually get originals re-plated or find ones good enough to re-use.  They have the same style sealer on the back of them, so it squeezes out on install like Jeff's pics show.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
You can find small washer ones mixed in there (maybe one a car) from time to time. Not sure who was dumping the wrong washers in the bucket around that time but it appears that someone put some in and it took time for every last one to find a home.  As for the sealant there was additional sealant I believe applied to the studs to hold the end cap in place during painting and allot of what squeezed out was that dum dum on at least one stud though as Charles wrote the washers likely had some stiffer sealer applied to the washers
Jeff Speegle

Offline Armond

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply's!  Here is the larger washer one I found in my stash. It is slightly cupped for the sealer I am assuming?  Then the smaller ones I found.  So could either be technically correct?  You know how I am, I just want to get it right. Pics......
MCA#31064

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »
FWIW; on my may 1965 car the larger washer and nut are on the end cap.  The smaller washer and nut are used for the brake light bucket.  I think you will find the nut sizes are different ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply's!  Here is the larger washer one I found in my stash. It is slightly cupped for the sealer I am assuming?  Then the smaller ones I found.  So could either be technically correct?  You know how I am, I just want to get it right. Pics......

From seeing allot of these I would report and suggest that the large washers were what were typically used.  Maybe in 5% of 66 San Jose cars I've found one out of the six be the one of the small washer types. Like I mentioned I would guess someone put a crate/barrel/box of the wrong ones in the holding tube at one point and by luck they got used up in a reduced ratio until they were all gone.  So if you don't know (documented) that your car came with one small one on one side of the car I would opt for all the same and reduce the chance some judge will find it and deduct because it is different

The nuts can be over tightened to the point where the cup of the washer is altered and almost reversed  if someone in the past got heavy handled though they are easy to correct.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »

Referencing the thread on the body end cap stud at 12:00 high from the 't' in the "mustang" portion of the copyright/watermark.

I gather this car is original? It appears the nut for the end cap was originally much further out when the interior of the trunk was painted. This allowed the cap to be some distance from the body when the outside was painted. Then when the paint was dry, the cap was screwed onto the body removing some paint from the threads of the stud and leaving this telltale mark.

Do concours judges look for this type of detail while judging?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
Referencing the thread on the body end cap stud at 12:00 high from the 't' in the "mustang" portion of the copyright/watermark.

Not sure where in the thread we discussed the markings on the end cap stud. Don't recall a marking but will look out in the garage just went through a few the other days to find a good match for a car

I gather this car is original? It appears the nut for the end cap was originally much further out when the interior of the trunk was painted. This allowed the cap to be some distance from the body when the outside was painted. Then when the paint was dry, the cap was screwed onto the body removing some paint from the threads of the stud and leaving this telltale mark.

Yes as already mentioned in this thread a a few others were I described the San Jose paint process in the trunk . Of course this does not relate you your car ;)

The cap often had to be removed (depending on year) to install the seal and reinstalled with all hardware and tightened. This can result with the painted nuts both ending up on the same time in rare cases and no painted ones on the other side.  Sure if the worker dropped one they didn't take the time to chase it down just grabbed another. But again if you don't have pictures from your original paint car to back up putting the car back that way go with the normal/ typical patterns found on the vast majority of cars would be my suggestion.

Do concours judges look for this type of detail while judging?

Yes all the time but not on cars like yours. Its a fairly often missed detail but people/restorers are getting better due to threads like this. Same thing happened with the door paint details and many other examples.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
Yes, but I have other cars so I decided to enter those into my profile to eliminate confusion.
Although my Dearborn car isn't the same as this SJ car in detail, I still found it interesting.

Only the first two cars in my profile will remain stock and concours.
And you can guess how I came about my moniker.
Bill

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 12:43:20 AM »
Not sure where in the thread we discussed the markings on the end cap stud. Don't recall a marking but will look out in the garage just went through a few the other days to find a good match for a car
Bill is referring to a location on the drawing.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
Bill is referring to a location on the drawing.
Jim

Guessed I missed the drawing in the discussion or one of the posts.  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 05:50:54 PM »
I'll try this again.

Using this pic (see, I kept the copyright!):

The cap was installed on the car, but the nut only went as far as the yellow arrow. This allowed the cap to be almost a 1/4" away from the car body.
The car was painted.
The nut, washer and stud from the yellow arrow to the green arrow was painted as well.
The paint dried and someone then tightened the nut, leaving the unpainted area between the yellow and blue arrow.
Bill