Author Topic: Interior vent grill  (Read 1249 times)

Offline rocnhrse

Interior vent grill
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »
Has any one used the Scott drake interior vent grills  in 67 or 68 fastback, wondering how  they look before I purchase  a pair, it's almost  impossible  to make a original part look really  nice
67 mustang  GTA  S code fastback  San Jose  April 67

Offline OldMustangGuy

Re: Interior vent grill
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:49:50 AM »
If you are wanting to stay original (or close to it) the Scott Drake ones are garbage (like a lot of other things they sell). They are made of plastic. To get as close to original as possible most people buy the complete assembly (which has metal grilles mounted on the abs panel) and swap those grills on to the original fiberglass panels. The swap wouldn’t be necesssary except that the repro abs panel is not even close to correct in terms of surface texture.

The repro metal grilles that come with the panel assembly are pretty good. Only a couple of very slight differences from originals.

Swapping the grilles onto the original fiberglass isn’t too bad of a job but a little trimming will likely be required here and there to get a good fit.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
If you are wanting to stay original (or close to it) the Scott Drake ones are garbage (like a lot of other things they sell). They are made of plastic. To get as close to original as possible most people buy the complete assembly (which has metal grilles mounted on the abs panel) and swap those grills on to the original fiberglass panels. The swap wouldn’t be necesssary except that the repro abs panel is not even close to correct in terms of surface texture.

The repro metal grilles that come with the panel assembly are pretty good. Only a couple of very slight differences from originals.

Swapping the grilles onto the original fiberglass isn’t too bad of a job but a little trimming will likely be required here and there to get a good fit.
+1 . That is what I have always done.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »
I wondered about that too.

I gather you grind the peened over portion of the old metal grill off to remove it.
How is the new one attached? Does it have screws or something?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:35:07 PM »
I wondered about that too.

I gather you grind the peened over portion of the old metal grill off to remove it.
How is the new one attached? Does it have screws or something?
Yes that is how you take off. I am sure there are multiple ways to re secure the metal grills in the original panels . I used epoxy over the mounting points after securing the grills in desired position until the epoxy hardens.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »
How is the new one attached?

The new grilles have studs on them. One small issue that may be encountered is that the studs don't perfectly line up with the mounting holes on the original fiberglass...that's where a little trimming (or hole enlarging) may be required. I use jam nuts to hold the grille in place with a little dab of epoxy here and there where the mounting hole had to be enlarged too much for the nut to hold.

Offline TonyH

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 04:38:32 PM »

Are these the Dynacorn panels that you're pulling the grills out of?  Mine are completely pitted as well and I've been looking for a good set of originals for a long time now.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback