1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

1967 convenience low fuel light remains on

(1/11) > >>

3stangs2fordtrucks:
Hi, this is my first post to your forum. The forum is quite impressive.  I spent last night reading on your forum the information related to the 1967-68 convenience package.  I am presently trying to trouble shoot my convenience system on a 1967 GT390 fastback.  The car is disassembled so I can dig through the wiring fairly easily.  Three of the lights function properly but the low fuel light comes on when I attach the battery to the car and remains on.  I understand from previously posts that the main cause of failure is that the low fuel sensor fails; however, I have a new low fuel sending unit that I purchased from WCCC.  I have also replaced the low fuel relay with a nos one.  To test the low fuel system, I have suspended the sending unit in a bucket of water so that the sensor is submerged but not the top of the unit.  I grounded the sending unit to a frame bolt.  Nothing I have done will result in the light going off.  If anyone has advice I would appreciate it.  I must be missing something.

jwc66k:
First, welcome. That's a real "downer" entrance.
I went thru this low fuel light circuit on a friend's 67 Fastback a few years back. It was the Thermistor.
For your situation, my first recommendation is to disconnect the low fuel relay with power applied. The low fuel light should go out.
Another sanity check (relay back in) would be to look at the solenoid. On the stud that goes to the starter there is a ring lug connection wire that provides a circuit check function for the low fuel light. That lug can be attached to the battery side of the solenoid by mistake which will keep the light on. A visual check.
Good luck.
Jim

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on February 09, 2018, 08:25:20 PM ---First, welcome. That's a real "downer" entrance.
I went thru this low fuel light circuit on a friend's 67 Fastback a few years back. It was the Thermistor.
For your situation, my first recommendation is to disconnect the low fuel relay with power applied. The low fuel light should go out.
Another sanity check (relay back in) would be to look at the solenoid. On the stud that goes to the starter there is a ring lug connection wire that provides a circuit check function for the low fuel light. That lug can be attached to the battery side of the solenoid by mistake which will keep the light on. A visual check.
Good luck.
Jim

--- End quote ---

Good guess Jim, you beat me to that answer! I hope this is it.

If you GOOGLE "Mustang low fuel schematic", you will find some help. It helps to also understand where the wires are SUPPOSED to go.

midlife:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on February 09, 2018, 08:25:20 PM ---First, welcome. That's a real "downer" entrance.
Good luck.
Jim

--- End quote ---
And beat me to it as well.  +2.

ruppstang:
That was my first thought too but he stated that the other three lights were working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version