Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

Cougar VIN cheat sheet anyone?

(1/2) > >>

J_Speegle:
Always trying to match up Cougar VINs with approx or projected build dates for comparison with the other Mustangs and such. Anyone have a cheat sheet that shows at least VIN ranges and dates?  Would make some things for me a bit easier.

Thought I would ask - Thanks for viewing.

preaction:
Jeff, outside of CJ and B302 cars most cougar owners don't aspire to complete a restoration such as is seen here, it seems most are modifiers and trends in Vin numbers just aren't part of that, unless your Scott from WCCC. 8)

J_Speegle:
I know they have registrars for different years and models as well as the club or individuals int he club have been collecting VIN data for years. Guess I'll ask over there or some of them directly.

Just thought I would ask here first :)

Mike_B_SVT:

--- Quote from: preaction on February 17, 2018, 05:28:07 PM ---Jeff, outside of CJ and B302 cars most cougar owners don't aspire to complete a restoration such as is seen here, it seems most are modifiers and trends in Vin numbers just aren't part of that, unless your Scott from WCCC. 8)

--- End quote ---

Consider the number of Mustangs built vs Cougars built.  I think you would find a similar ratio of restorers vs modifiers in the Cougar ranks as you do in the Mustang ranks.  You also have to keep in mind that Cougars do not enjoy the benefit of a plethora of reproduction parts like the Mustangs.  Restoring a Cougar costs considerably more, and is usually not practical for a non-CJ / non-Eliminator car.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on February 18, 2018, 12:18:07 AM ---I know they have registrars for different years and models as well as the club or individuals int he club have been collecting VIN data for years. Guess I'll ask over there or some of them directly.

Just thought I would ask here first :)

--- End quote ---

You want to ask Phil Parcells.  He has enough data that given a Cougar VIN he can narrow the build date and DSO quite accurately.

preaction:

--- Quote from: Mike_B_SVT on February 20, 2018, 04:16:06 PM ---Consider the number of Mustangs built vs Cougars built.  I think you would find a similar ratio of restorers vs modifiers in the Cougar ranks as you do in the Mustang ranks.  You also have to keep in mind that Cougars do not enjoy the benefit of a plethora of reproduction parts like the Mustangs.  Restoring a Cougar costs considerably more, and is usually not practical for a non-CJ / non-Eliminator
--- End quote ---

Mike I'm with you on all of this above, as a 67 6.5 liter car owner I agree. Last years fords at Carlisle celebrating the 50Th anniversary of the first year of Cougars there was a very strong showing of 67-68 cougars of which maybe 5% were restored to original let alone concours condition. This has been my experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version