1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

clarification on sheet metal stamp dates

(1/2) > >>

evantugby:
Gents,
I documented several sheet metal stamps on my kar. Here is what I found.

Radiator support stamp on left side: 10 27 D3
Passenger side apron connecting to cowl: 10 22 D3

Short angled frame support connecting frame rail to radiator support panel: 10 18 D3 and the other one shows 10 31 D3

Driver side vin-stamped apron: 10 22 D2

My kar was scheduled for build on 23 Oct 1965 based on the door tag info of "23K"

Question: looking at the date stamps on several panels, would it be safe to assume that my kar was built several days/weeks after the scheduled build date of 23 Oct 65?

carlite65:
imo you are correct. 23K was just a 'best guess' for planning purposes.

evantugby:
Thanks carlite,
Follow up question: Does the radiator support come in one or two pieces? I found another date stamp on the passenger side as well but couldn't make out the date due to it being lightly stamped. 

My assumption is that the radiator support would have been one piece so why the two date stamps?

CharlesTurner:
As Fred mentioned, the date on your door tag is simply a 'scheduled build date'.  The actual build date of the car can be off by days/weeks before or after.  It all had to do with parts inventories/availability.

The rad support is one piece, but it attaches to the lower cross member.  Use a light and trace the outline.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: evantugby on February 20, 2018, 10:52:54 PM ---Question: looking at the date stamps on several panels, would it be safe to assume that my kar was built several days/weeks after the scheduled build date of 23 Oct 65?

--- End quote ---

Yes certainly the plant missed when they guessed it would be completed on Oct 23rd. But at least the order and the approximate date gave others an idea of how many cars, options and such to plan on for around that time period. Looks like your car was more likely an early to mid November built car

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version