Author Topic: 68 center link finish and ps valve.  (Read 7182 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 68 center link finish and ps valve.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »
Bob send me an e-mail to viperrick@aol and I will forward you a pic. The date on end cap corresponds to build date of car so wouldn't say it was changed. Also I've owned it since 84 so odds that it would have needed rebuild in first 15 years was slim.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »
Looks to be dated correctly on the alum end cap with 8e7b. The white paint daub wouldn't have been done by Rebuilder.

Seen daubs and stamps used by rebuilders to identify their work. Paint is often the quicker of the two

Just an observation - As far as needing attention by 84 - Changed a number of them during the 70's on cars I had, would guess the year or period of time would not be as important as how many miles the car had on it at the time ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »
Since no one has said anything regarding the white paint daub between the stud and the valve I will reapply that one. Regarding the black on the end i will think about it. I have photo documented what I found and feel comfortable putting it back as is. i figure I can always remove it with paint stripper even on the car if need be. The paint I use for dipping seems to strip off easily enough with the aircraft grade stripper I use. Had to strip my upper control arms and the black came off easy but the urethane primer was a pain. All good now on the a arms and getting ball joints riveted in.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
I'd recommend leaving the black paint and the white daub off until you do some more research on the matter.  If you can find a couple more examples from the same assy. plant and time period, would support what you found. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »
I'd recommend leaving the black paint and the white daub off until you do some more research on the matter.  If you can find a couple more examples from the same assy. plant and time period, would support what you found.
+1 never seen anything like those either

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 12:08:44 AM »
+1 never seen anything like those either
+2 . You can always add it later if you find other corroborating evidence to convince others to support your belief. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »
When installing the valve assembly on the center link the collar bolt is on the bottom so that means the compression pin gets installed throughout the top? That means it has to go through the long slot of the valve assembly and into the pre-drilled hole in the centerlink? Typically what is the length of the pin? Found one at hardware store which fits the hole but available in 1/2", 3/4", and 1". So which is close to The correct length.