Author Topic: Order of Spring Striping  (Read 1826 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Order of Spring Striping
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Well getting ready to mark the front coils. Have researched the springs and have the correct colors (I believe). I have pics of striping on a unrestored car which shows orange and yellow. Verified the model, engine, transmission and whether it had certain options. The spring matches the application. Notice that the pic is of the passenger side coil and it reads left to right just as the Ford parts manual describes it. So when it was painted originally the guy had to paint it reverse so that when it was turned over it read as described. Easy part.

The question comes in for the drivers side. Would it have been marked in the same order when striped (wouldn't think they would make the guy reverse his procedure) so when installed now it would read left to right yellow/orange (on the drivers side). I may be over thinking this but I figured its better to ask the experts. The last thing I want to do is to apply paint only to find out I have done it wrong.

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Order of Spring Striping
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »
The guy marking the springs (where ever that was) had no idea of which side each individual spring would be installled. Unless the worker got them backwards that time they would all be marked the same from the hundreds (or more) that I've seen
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
Re: Order of Spring Striping
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
They are marked the same and it goes left to right with the flat part of the spring down