Author Topic: Lower Door Seal (Door to Sill)  (Read 3399 times)

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures
Lower Door Seal (Door to Sill)
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:48:02 PM »
Should my car have this seal?  It's held on by a set of screws.  If the doors have the holes does that mean that it came with the seal?  What direction do they get installed?  I have the body assembly manual but it seems backwards.

Any help would be appreciated!

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Lower Door Seal (Door to Sill)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:55:27 AM »
There has been a number of theories as to why some cars got them and others did not. With a little research it does not seem to be connected more to any one plant or goverened by where the car was shipped to.

Current belief seems to be - if the car has the holes it get the lower door sweep.

I don't have a copy of the assembly manual here at home - which direction does it suggest

The illustrated catalog shows it with the sweep part of the weatherstrip being mounted on the out mounting screws. This makes the base pull up and rotate when the door is closed (this might be the odd design issue your noticing) but the edge of the seal ends up perfectly at the bottom edge of the door opening sealing it as I would guess they designed it.

That is the way its mounted in my 69  but I put them one approx 20 years ago

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:00:57 AM »
If the doors are original to the car and the holes don't show any signs of ever being used, I would leave them off and just the opposite if the holes have been run with a screw.

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
thanks everyone for the quick replies.  my doors have the holes.  however it's very hard to tell if they have ever had a screw in them. 

jeff, i understand the direction you are speaking of and that matches the diagrams.  the edge of the seal appears to come right up to the bottom edge of the door when it sweeps (my just holding it up to the doors).

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
thanks everyone for the quick replies.  my doors have the holes.  however it's very hard to tell if they have ever had a screw in them. 

Original screws are very small but as offered above (what I'm doing) if the holes are there - use them or make them go away
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)