Author Topic: Rear Gas Shocks  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Rear Gas Shocks
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:56:46 AM »
I put some Motorcraft rear shocks on my 68 coupe paired with an original set of leaf springs. It sits a little bit too high in the back. Pete believes this is from the gas shocks, is there a better alternative shock that is a little weaker to enable the car to sit down more? Needs to come down 2 inches or so.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Gas Shocks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »
it has been my experience that the springs control the height of the car or its' stance. that said i usually use the monroe gas-matic. they are not as stout as some of the other gas brands out there.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »
Give the car a chance to settle before replacing the shocks.  Maybe loosen the leaf spring bolts with the car on the ground and then re-torque to spec.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »
Be glad they are a bit high out of the gate they always seem to settle in when you drive it the first 100 miles or so. Have you driven it? Marty

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »
It has gone less than 1 mile, I'll see how it settles as the miles go up.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »
The need for a 2 inch drop means almost certainly its your new springs. Good shocks can hold the rear up with old soft springs but won't affect the stance with new springs.
I also had the same problem with new springs and left them on for a good six months to settle in. I left it so long becaus I don't drive the car much. Then I had the springs reset to give the ride height I wanted. For me resetting was the right way to go as the springs were uneven and the left was higher than the right. This way I was able to get everything squared up.
Brad.

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »
I don't have new springs, they are original 1968 leaf springs.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »
I don't have new springs, they are original 1968 leaf springs.

Probably just need to settle then, check the torque of the lock nuts to the spec in the shop manual.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
I never tighten any of the suspension bolts until the car is resting in its full weight on the four tires. Also, depending on where I am in the restoration, the Mustang may sit like that for a month or more. Shocks never go in untl the complete drivetrain is installed.

For the record, if there is a specific torque called for by the shop manual for any attaching hardware, I always follow that specification.

I don't think the rear of the car needs a 2 inch drop, rather it may need to settle 1/2 inch to be correct. Kinda of hard to truly appreciate the correct ride height when current radial tires are on the car.

Regards,
Pete Morgan