Author Topic: 67 390 W/AC Heater Hose Question?  (Read 3359 times)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
67 390 W/AC Heater Hose Question?
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I just received my heater hose from Bill @ Mansfield Restorations.  His supplier for the heater hose, Kevin Marti, sent a pair of hoses different than what I am used to.  This is for my 67, Metuchen, 390, C6 and AC.  One end of each hose has a 90 deg. bend rather than straight.  Bill didn't know why this was done and suggested I contact Tim Lea.

I know that with the 390 you used to have to have a molded S shaped hose from the heater core to the water solenoid, to clear the valve cover. 

Anyone have an idea why Kevin is supplying these instead of the correct concours hoses?  Of course to solve the problem I just need to cut off the 90 ends and use normally with the molded hose.  Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue.  Mike

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: 67 390 W/AC Heater Hose Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
That is the correct heater hose for a 67/68 Mustang with A/C. The 90 degree bend connects to the input side of the heater control valve that is mounted on the upper part of the engine compartment firewall. The short S bend hose goes from the output side of the valve and connects to the heater core. I have seen both 90 degree bend and no bend heater hose connected to the other side of the heater core, but I do not have anything to show if that was specific to SB or BB. Jeff may have some pics.

Reagrds,
Pete Morgan

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »
Thanks Pete.  In the past I have always used the straight hoses, but none of my '67's had AC.  My Mach 1's did, but those are a different bird.

I hope Jeff can help with some pictures of the hoses/connections.  Thanks again for the help.  Mike

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
That is the correct heater hose for a 67/68 Mustang with A/C. The 90 degree bend connects to the input side of the heater control valve that is mounted on the upper part of the engine compartment firewall. The short S bend hose goes from the output side of the valve and connects to the heater core. I have seen both 90 degree bend and no bend heater hose connected to the other side of the heater core, but I do not have anything to show if that was specific to SB or BB. Jeff may have some pics.

Reagrds,
Pete Morgan
+1
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »
Checked - my examples had either had the hoses swapped at some time or they had replaced the valve but not a one had both original items in place

Sorry
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:04 PM »
Thanks guys that really helps me understand the use of one of the hoses.  But, I still have one final question.

So if I understand Pete's comment the other hose with the bend connects to the other heater core pipe?  I want to make sure I do this right the first time.  Thanks for all the help!  Mike
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:01:56 AM by scodemike »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 02:24:32 AM »
Thanks guys that really helps me understand the use of one of the hoses.  But, I still have one final question.

So if I understand Pete's comment the other hose with the bend connects to the other heater core pipe?  I want to make sure I do this right the first time.  Thanks for all the help!  Mike

Believe the "bent" formed end of the long hose goes to the passenger end of the water control valve then the short bent/formed hose attaches to the drivers side of the valve and then to the heater core.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
I sure seem to dig up old threads :-[. As I have previously stated, I doubt my car will ever be a concours car, but I do take Jeff's signature line to heart and want to bring my car closer to original as I address items the PO did. As I continue with the engine bay, I currently have an aftermarket heater control valve that has no bracket and is just flopping around behind my engine. I have a repop valve with bracket I will be in stalling until I obtain an original. I figure now is a good time to get the correct hoses. It appears the molded "S" hose from the control valve to the heater core is correct and I have one of those already.

Now I am trying to figure the return hose from the heater core and the supply hose to the control valve. The typical vendors seem to have white stripe, yellow stripe, white/yellow stripe...both straight or preformed 90o

I am posting this here, on an old thread, in hopes to update it with "newer" information and link to a newer thread I found.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12920.msg78877#msg78877

Based on my build date, application and the TSB Jeff provided, it looks like my car would have come with the straight hoses, but what color stripe?...I have not found one with the reddish-brown that is suggested. In case my signature changes it is SJ, 390 with A/C, non-smog, built 1/4/67.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:30:14 PM by BKnapp »
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 09:41:28 PM »
I sure seem to dig up old threads :-[. As I have previously stated, I doubt my car will ever be a concours car, but I do take Jeff's signature line to heart and want to bring my car closer to original as I address items the PO did. As I continue with the engine bay, I currently have an aftermarket heater control valve that has no bracket and is just flopping around behind my engine. I have a repop valve with bracket I will be in stalling until I obtain an original. I figure now is a good time to get the correct hoses. It appears the molded "S" hose from the control valve to the heater core is correct and I have one of those already.

Now I am trying to figure the return hose from the heater core and the supply hose to the control valve. The typical vendors seem to have white stripe, yellow stripe, white/yellow stripe...both straight or preformed 90o

I am posting this here, on an old thread, in hopes to update it with "newer" information and link to a newer thread I found.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12920.msg78877#msg78877

Based on my build date, application and the TSB Jeff provided, it looks like my car would have come with the straight hoses, but what color stripe?...I have not found one with the reddish-brown that is suggested. In case my signature changes it is SJ, 390 with A/C, non-smog, built 1/4/67.

Thanks
It is a safe today as it was when the answer was first posted in the other thread. The redish stripe (orange,brown or whatever you want to call it) hose is what would be considered the best bet IMO.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »
Thanks, Bob. Jeff’s reply #6 on the the attached thread is what prompted my question... where he said a San Jose or different time period might have a different answer.

I will search for the reddish stripe hose.

Thanks again
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »
Thanks, Bob. Jeff’s reply #6 on the the attached thread is what prompted my question... where he said a San Jose or different time period might have a different answer.

I will search for the reddish stripe hose.

Thanks again
Yes because at SJ the white is typically early ,Reddish is typically a little later and yellow typically later yet. For example I have a Nov 66 build car that had one red and one white indicating how early the transition began to the reddish.The reddish is the most common in 67 from my observation but those observations may not jive with others. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
Yes because at SJ the white is typically early ,Reddish is typically a little later and yellow typically later yet. For example I have a Nov 66 build car that had one red and one white indicating how early the transition began to the reddish.The reddish is the most common in 67 from my observation but those observations may not jive with others. 

Interesting observation, I assume by the language that this is an unrestored example but is it safe to also assume this November 66 example is also one with air conditioning too? If so, do you have any recollection if one of the hoses was straight, as what has been described in the Service Publication Jeff shared in the other thread? (I have attached a copy here also for reference). It is easy to deduct that the hose mentioned in the service publication that MAY HAVE interference with hood hinge or exhaust manifold, would be the heater inlet hose.(valve to engine,not the return hose from heater core to engine).

Noting this thread is for 390 examples (and and should also include GT500 examples presumably), my understanding of these Select-Aire systems suggest these details are not limited to engine size. Assuming there is no evidence to the contrary AND since I am currently working on a 289 example with factory installed Select-Aire, I wish to jump into this discussion and broaden the scope a little.

As already stated, I have a few questions now and will line them up:

1.) (Bob G.), On the example you mentioned, do you know which hose was the reddish color? (Inlet hose or return hose)
2.) (Bob G.), Do you know the actual build date of that example?
3.) (Bob G.), Was this example equipped with factory Select-Aire, yes or no?
4.) (Bob G.), Was the reddish hose a curved end hose or straight?
5.) (anyone), Currently, I have a curved end hose with white stripe to use on my Nov. 2, 1966 built San Jose 289. I have believed for some time now that this would be correct. Would it then, in corroboration with the service publication, that the most likely correct hose to use would then be a STRAIGHT hose, carefully routed to have adequate clearance of the hood hinge and exhaust system, without any kinks?
6.) Assuming Bob G. is able to answer some or all of those questions, perhaps there may be more questions or answers to what would typically be found on a very early NOVEMBER built SJ car in regard to this detail. (I will wait & see)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:02:51 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »
Bob, thanks for the time line... that helps a lot.

It seems white and yellow are the most prevalent at the typical vendors. Does anyone have a source for the reddish striped hose?

Thanks
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
Bob, thanks for the time line... that helps a lot.

It seems white and yellow are the most prevalent at the typical vendors. Does anyone have a source for the reddish striped hose?

Thanks
I am surprised to see when I looked into the NPD catalog that the red was not offered. The last time I needed to sourced some hose for a 67 air project was abut 4 years ago and it was available then.   If all else fails stripe them yourself. I have had to do that when working with assemblyline original heater hose.I prefer to use a air brush for this work to control the volume of product laid down. It should not be thick. You can source ink from the the stamp making shops or even use Vinyl paint even regular paint will work.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08:26 AM »
Interesting observation, I assume by the language that this is an unrestored example but is it safe to also assume this November 66 example is also one with air conditioning too? If so, do you have any recollection if one of the hoses was straight, as what has been described in the Service Publication Jeff shared in the other thread? (I have attached a copy here also for reference). It is easy to deduct that the hose mentioned in the service publication that MAY HAVE interference with hood hinge or exhaust manifold, would be the heater inlet hose.(valve to engine,not the return hose from heater core to engine).

Noting this thread is for 390 examples (and and should also include GT500 examples presumably), my understanding of these Select-Aire systems suggest these details are not limited to engine size. Assuming there is no evidence to the contrary AND since I am currently working on a 289 example with factory installed Select-Aire, I wish to jump into this discussion and broaden the scope a little.

As already stated, I have a few questions now and will line them up:

1.) (Bob G.), On the example you mentioned, do you know which hose was the reddish color? (Inlet hose or return hose)
2.) (Bob G.), Do you know the actual build date of that example?
3.) (Bob G.), Was this example equipped with factory Select-Aire, yes or no?
4.) (Bob G.), Was the reddish hose a curved end hose or straight?
5.) (anyone), Currently, I have a curved end hose with white stripe to use on my Nov. 2, 1966 built San Jose 289. I have believed for some time now that this would be correct. Would it then, in corroboration with the service publication, that the most likely correct hose to use would then be a STRAIGHT hose, carefully routed to have adequate clearance of the hood hinge and exhaust system, without any kinks?
6.) Assuming Bob G. is able to answer some or all of those questions, perhaps there may be more questions or answers to what would typically be found on a very early NOVEMBER built SJ car in regard to this detail. (I will wait & see)
I think you are reading too much into the different color hose. It appears to be using up old stock rather then a different color for inlet or outlet. I actually don't have a Marti report on that car (owned for over 30 years) but should get one . I have gotten a idea of build date based on other cars around the same number that have gotten a Marti . It has always been good enough for my needs.  Straight end hose. I would not be surprised a car that early would have white hose.It would most likely have the straight hose type IMO.  I don't think this is a bigblock vs smallblock issue . I think the hose color is the same regardless of bigblock or smallblock
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:16:17 AM by Bob Gaines »