Author Topic: 70 coupe drive shaft  (Read 3757 times)

Offline DEWilson

• Maine Mustang Back from the Dead Restoration Shop
70 coupe drive shaft
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
hi working on a nj built car nov 10 with 3 speed.  started cleaning up the drive shaft found some markings... one white stripe, one blue stripe, maybe a green stripe between the blue and white, 2 blue dabs(?) and looks like a green stripe running through the stripes length ways through the color stripes.  does this look right?  does anyone have any pics of this color combo?  I have attached photos for peoples input. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 coupe drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
Checked my files (for pictures) and buildsheets and unfortunately not many restore cars equipped like yours so I don't have any supporting information.  In that case (and lacking any additional information) I would take pictures as you have, cut through the surface of the markings and wet them to confirm their true tones and tints. With that info reproduce what you found.

As for the "stripe" through the others I've found many where the drivelines were moved from the table or over an edge before the paint was dry causing a joining of the multiple colors or forming a horizontal "stripe"

Might have the same thing going on here
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
hi Jeff
     did they use dab of paint as a marking on drive shafts got that one blue spot that you can see that the paint ran down around the sides  as for the green mark it start after the white  one and run over the blue one 

had a hard time try to clean the shaft off and keeping any marking most of what found was under sound deadener

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:23:56 AM »
Never seen daubs as marks but instead have seen a fair share of messy drips that run or get smugged
Jeff Speegle

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »
more addtional info on car 65A  (t)NJ  (f)302 2v   no/ac  with ps   3speed std
(2)light ivy yellow color  untit 132462   when i redo the marking should i redo the drips and runs and would there be any outher stripe never really seen what the driveshaft  marking  should look like

when i cut the marking just wet the paper with water

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
when i cut the marking just wet the paper with water

I have had some succcess by lightly wet sanding the shaft in the stripe area.  The sandpaper takes off the layer of dull paint and the water gives it all some contrast so you can get a better idea of the original color.  You will probably have to custom mix some model paints to get a close match when you restripe it.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:38:01 PM »
more addtional info on car 65A  (t)NJ  (f)302 2v   no/ac  with ps   3speed std
(2)light ivy yellow color  untit 132462   

Thanks helps place what you found in context

when i redo the marking should i redo the drips and runs and

I would reproduce what you found - not going to be easy

would there be any outher stripe

We have no way of knowing

never really seen what the driveshaft  marking  should look like

Have you looked at this for another example?

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13.0
Jeff Speegle

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »
finshed clean up the rest of tube the rust pitting to much will have to replace the tube :( . but the pit does help to see that there was just the two 1 inch stripes one white and one blue and a couple blue drip of paint the green  must of been some paint transfer (like Jeff mention) but can see that there was also had been a 1/2 wide stripe at one time would any have any ideal what color this one may have been, or any one come across this color code blue white