Author Topic: Date coded gas tank  (Read 8723 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Date coded gas tank
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »
Black will work since the "black" is often not a real strong black when if comes to chalking and the original appears (when its not exposed to the elements) a very dark grey. I've used products that were listed as "black" for 30 plus years and found it to be a very close match to original so the term gray can be IMHO misleading.  Also many restorers back in the 80's (and copies of the product sold through Mustang parts houses) use the light or medium grey since they was what was available as "NOS"  so that mislead allot of people during that period.

As far as the MAC stuff I've never ordered or used it - sorry
Very Dark Gray +1 . The Mac strip caulk product can be seen poking out of the bottom of the package in a enlarged picture . Going strictly by the image I see represented in my monitor it appears to be more of a medium gray. I have not used that specific product ether so I don't have any more of a impression other then the picture provided.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »
While resto-modding my 65 coupe I found a box of caulk rope by 3M . . . I believe it is a med. grey.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »
While resto-modding my 65 coupe I found a box of caulk rope by 3M . . . I believe it is a med. grey.

They and other suppliers make a dark grey /black product. There is a fairly long thread that was posted a while back discussing the change in the 3M product, other suppliers, comparisons  and related details that I suggest people interested in finding and using seek out using the search feature here
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »
Getting back to this . . .

The rope caulk I got from a fellow restorer had no gray in it whatsoever. Jet black.
I don't know what med gray or dark gray means as that's quite subjective.

How about we use grayscale values?
Here are 8 different grays, according to their grayscale values (here it's called Grayscale 235 descending to 75). See attachment. Which one do you guys like?
[any good drawing program could replicate this for your monitor/printer]

When applied to the gas tank and fender area (SJ Mar) how much should Goosh out? Yeah, Goosh is a technical term!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:54:45 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
Here are 8 different grays, according to their grayscale values (here it's called Grayscale 235 descending to 75). See attachment. Which one do you guys like?
[any good drawing program could replicate this for your monitor/printer]

8-8+     ::)

When applied to the gas tank and fender area (SJ Mar) how much should Goosh out? Yeah, Goosh is a technical term!

Gas tank typically very little - more (slightly) looking from underneath

Here are some examples. Less product used to seal compared to the fender application. Remember the color of the strip is affected/changes over time and with exposure to the sun and the air

Fenders often none IMHO was not covered. Every once in a while you might find a car where the end of the strand slide out but from the tens of thousands I've seen this was not the norm. Many of the picture threads of unrestored 67 San Jose and even 68's here on the sight will provide you with some examples

Will start a new thread in the 67-8 Section so that it makes it easier for other members to find the fender related information if its not buried in a discussion about gas tanks

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16826.0
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:01:17 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 03:15:03 AM »
The pictures of unrestored is great, but it's when the item is taken apart that you can really see how it was done.
Mine has been apart for too long and I never took pictures of the remaining goop. Never thought it was important. Until now!

Glad you liked my gray scale. I really do like things definitive and not subjective.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »
The original rope caulk, when exposed to sun/elements, will turn light gray.  Most of the stuff I find on original cars or areas that have not been disassembled before are a very dark gray, almost black.  For the cars where the assembly plant was using an actual gray caulk, it was definitely gray appearing.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »

I have only found that style in the old checkerboard 3M boxes.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 11:39:27 AM »
I found this unique padding on our SJ 68 HCS gas tank. It appears to be sail panel or kick panel pads and scraps. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
I found this unique padding on our SJ 68 HCS gas tank. It appears to be sail panel or kick panel pads and scraps.

Maybe repurposed pads from a large Ford/T-bird trunk. Something that was full lined in the trunk
Jeff Speegle