Author Topic: PS pump rebuild  (Read 6079 times)

Offline 68 S Code

PS pump rebuild
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
Although I detailed my PS pump to look perfect it leaks and does not seem to work correctly. Need someone to go through it without damaging the work I've done. Any recommendations? I know Roger Rhodes does gearboxes but does he do pumps? Chokostang also deals with Steering linkages. This pump is making a mess of the lower part of the engine bay.

Offline ruppstang

Re: PS pump rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
I'll bet it is leaking around the rear fitting nut. Both of those guys can help you. Marty

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »
Chockostang keeps some in stock already restored and ready to go.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline BigB427

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
Getting the reservoir off the pump body without damaging it is definitely the hardest part of resealing it. If you are willing to try it yourself the original seal kit is still available from Ford. I did one a several months ago. 
Formerly 69 Mach 1 428SCJ w/ 4:30 gears, 69 GT 500 convertible #0018, 69 Boss 429 KK1599, 67 GT500 #0784, and a few others

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
When I restored the pump cosmetically I did take the can off because I wanted to get a small sing out of it. So that's not so bad. I have two other BB pumps so I may look into trying those.

Spoke with Roger yesterday and he was very helpful. We fixed the leaking over the phone. I guess all power steering fluid is not alike. The fluid I used was way too thin in viscosity. You need to use Ford Type F ATF in the original ford pumps. Once I drained the reservoir and filled with ATF the leaks stopped. Next issue is that the pump may be internally stuck at a check valve. Roger sad to use a BFH and short socket extension to give it a couple of solid shots. If that doesn't cure it he will be happy to rebuild it. Very reasonable cost.

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »
Roger did all my P/S stuff. Very reasonable and fast service.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
Red you are spot on. Rodger told me what the possible issue was with fluid weight and how I could correct it to stop leaks. He told me how to try to fix the pump check valve as well. Even though it might mean no work ($) for him. Ultimately the leak was down to a trickle. I removed and shipped it off yesterday. I'm hoping for s quick turn around and no leak.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
What is the purpose of the thin metal bracket which gets mounted by the nuts on the preside hose stem? I thought it was to keep the pressure hose centered. But when installed the piece has the tab at the top of the pump which is no where close to the hose which seems to go off the stem and then down. Tried to install it with the tab pointing down but that didn't seem to correspond. Was there a SB and BB bracket? I saw a 68 CJ last week in Iowa which seemed to gave a bracket pointing down.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
Believe the engine size makes a difference in the indexing brackets. The bracket was designed to make sure that the hose is angled correctly so that it does not rub or touch other items. - well that was the plan ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
Believe the engine size makes a difference in the indexing brackets. The bracket was designed to make sure that the hose is angled correctly so that it does not rub or touch other items. - well that was the plan ;)
To add to Jeff's remarks the 68 BB typically didn't use the indexing brket . I believe it was a production addition that happened late in 68 production. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »
From what I could tell when installing the pressure hose it would keep the line from wedging against the shock tower as you tighten the nut. Without the bracket you need to hold the steel line as you tighten to keep it from turning. The bracket I have seems to index closer to the dipstick tube than the PS line. Tried to see if I had it backwards but doesn't seem to want to install that way. So don't understand it's purpose. Maybe Rodger will intstall  it differently. The red CJ did have a PS bracket which seemed to point down. I have to download the pics from last week.  I also have another pump which has a tag for a CJ application. I will check to see if it has a bracket and if it is different.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 01:48:48 AM »
From what I could tell when installing the pressure hose it would keep the line from wedging against the shock tower as you tighten the nut. Without the bracket you need to hold the steel line as you tighten to keep it from turning. The bracket I have seems to index closer to the dipstick tube than the PS line. Tried to see if I had it backwards but doesn't seem to want to install that way. So don't understand it's purpose. Maybe Rodger will intstall  it differently. The red CJ did have a PS bracket which seemed to point down. I have to download the pics from last week.  I also have another pump which has a tag for a CJ application. I will check to see if it has a bracket and if it is different.
No question on what it was for  or  if it was a good idea . With your many questions concerning historical accuracy on your restoration I was just relating that it's usage in 68 was minimal at best on the assemblyline. It is most likely not historically correct for your application IMHO. It wasn't used on 67 BB ether. It was mainly used in 69 up applications. If function over historical accuracy is what you want then by all means use it. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »
Bob thanks for confirming that i don't have to go looking for one. I can hold the hose while tightening the nut.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 01:09:25 AM »
Bob thanks for confirming that i don't have to go looking for one. I can hold the hose while tightening the nut.
Once you get that done it usually takes two people to properly tighten the lower fitting to the other half of the high pressure hose to the control valve . In order to properly index the hose while tightening so it will not hang down and at the same time position the hose that goes up to the back of he pump to go basically straight up , it takes two sets of hands. The back of the pump is a cinch compared to the lower half. Just my experience anyway. Bob   

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »
Bob thanks for the word of advice but I'm kind of confused. I have the bracket with the rubber isolator which holds the two lines to the shock tower bottom. Thats where the connection takes place with the pressure hose from the pump and the hose from the valve. That didn't seem to be an issue when I originally installed the lines. Are you refering to the steel line at the valve?

Rodger sent back the pump and got it last night. He must have turned it around the same day and shipped it out as well. Great service and very reasonable. Even can't complain about USPS and UPS return service. Sent Saturday and got back Weds. Passing along a tip from him. Use NAPA 75-205 type F fluid. Its thicker and less prone to leaks.