Author Topic: PS pump rebuild  (Read 6085 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: PS pump rebuild
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
Bob thanks for the word of advice but I'm kind of confused. I have the bracket with the rubber isolator which holds the two lines to the shock tower bottom. Thats where the connection takes place with the pressure hose from the pump and the hose from the valve. That didn't seem to be an issue when I originally installed the lines. Are you refering to the steel line at the valve?

Rodger sent back the pump and got it last night. He must have turned it around the same day and shipped it out as well. Great service and very reasonable. Even can't complain about USPS and UPS return service. Sent Saturday and got back Weds. Passing along a tip from him. Use NAPA 75-205 type F fluid. Its thicker and less prone to leaks.
It was probably not indexed properly before is what I think. The hose going to the back of the pump should go straight up vertical not angled left or right. The hose from the control valve needs to be oriented so that it is run  parallel to the ground . It will have a slight bend towards the oil pan but still parallel to the ground . Your return line should also be parallel to the ground.This is somewhat difficult to do holding the upper pump pressure hose straight , holding the lower pressure hose parallel to the ground while you are tightening up the fitting.  It's like you need a third hand   ;) .Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
I plan on installing both the pressure and return line to the pump first (tweak the pressure for straight up and down once mounted) hoping I don't need to grow a third hand by tomorrow  ;D .

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »
I was just relating that it's usage in 68 was minimal at best on the assemblyline.
    Hi Bob, got a related question.. My car is a really late 68 390 gt (3rd week of july,1968) NJ built.  Would you use the pressure hose bracket on this car ?  I got the feeling from your response that the bracket was 69/70 only, but I found the correct BB bracket in a can of bolts that came with the car.   Thank's in advance, john

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »
    Hi Bob, got a related question.. My car is a really late 68 390 gt (3rd week of july,1968) NJ built.  Would you use the pressure hose bracket on this car ?  I got the feeling from your response that the bracket was 69/70 only, but I found the correct BB bracket in a can of bolts that came with the car.   Thank's in advance, john
John, the bracket is typically seen in 69/70. Although I think the transition for the use of the bracket started before the end of the 68 model year I would venture a guess that a 3rd week of July would still be early for it's use. That is just a guess based on the cars I have observed.I would use your best judgement based on how authentic and other related parts appeared to you. I am not aware of any definitive documentation on the transition . Bob
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:57:31 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
The only 68 car I've ever seen with the bracket was a 390 car. Don't remember its build date though
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America