Author Topic: What paint do YOU use when reproducing factory markings?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline BillEBobb

What paint do YOU use when reproducing factory markings?
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
I personally used hobby shop paints (widest color choices) when reproducing factory "stripes" on springs, drive shaft, etc. but have discovered that in the year since I applied them they've faded considerably and the car's restoration hasn't even been completed.

What brands/types of paints have you found that will hold up and that will give the variety of colors?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: What paint do YOU use when reproducing factory markings?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:41:25 PM »
I usually use spray cans in varying colors and mix if I need to.  Spray them into a spray can lid or cup and use a brush to apply.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: What paint do YOU use when reproducing factory markings?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:01:10 PM »
I have a box full of paints (sprays and bottles) I use. Rarely can I find the right colors already made up so like Charles I custom mix every one I do. I also keep an eye out when I go to the store for new colors that I can add to the collection that at least are a close start.

As for specific brands. I've used (in the little bottles) the hobby paint Testor's though the bottles are too small to do any number of cars (since I tend to do a number of cars a year for myself and clients) I've found larger containers of enamel hobby paints made for metal that I've picked up (a pale yellow I use often comes to mind) And like Charles have a good collection of rattle cans but they tend to take more room to store

For stamps I either use a ink pad (though these do not hold up as long) or spray onto a magazine page then daub, check and apply. Sure a number of people here have observed this practice at some show where I'm applying some inspector stampings for a car owner

One thing to always consider IMHO is what your going to be marking. If your doing a driveline or something that will take a fair amount of paint mix up a batch at least twice as large as you will need. In that way you will not run out (you'll never get a second batch to match) if you run short or need to correct it just a little ;)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:02:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)