Author Topic: 68 GT Hubcaps  (Read 6192 times)

Offline toohey

68 GT Hubcaps
« on: July 25, 2009, 05:02:38 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for setting up a place that will advance and raise the standards in our hobby.

I'm currently trying to (without great success) paint the black rings around a set of 68 GT hubcaps. The problem is that the edges I'm getting have a slight wave. I've tried a couple of methods, the first was masking the cap and spray painting and the second was thinning down the paint and using a syringe to inject the paint and have it run around the painted areas of the cap.  Does anyone have a solution they would like to share?

Thanks Matt
Dearborn 68.5 CJ

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
Re: 68 GT Hubcaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »
Hello Matt,..I would give them to an experienced pin striper/sign painter. I've seen guys lay down a 1/8 stipe along a car, arrow straight and still carry a conversation with ya. And fast too.   Chris

Offline toohey

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »
Thanks Chris, 

I do have access to a lathe and thought I cound spin the cap in that and use a fixed brush to apply the paint but I didn't want brush marks.  Would I get the same problem with someone pin striping by hand?

Matt
Dearborn 68.5 CJ

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »
One of the challenges (sorry no answers on this one) is that the originals were sprayed, if I remember correctly, with a soft edge from maybe a mask.

Think the whole brush marks thing depends on how thick the paint, how quick it dries or is allowed to flow and eliminate the strokes as well as how it sits to dry.

As always, details and reproducing them can be challenging - but once overcome they are rewarding.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »
One of the challenges (sorry no answers on this one) is that the originals were sprayed, if I remember correctly, with a soft edge from maybe a mask.

Think the whole brush marks thing depends on how thick the paint, how quick it dries or is allowed to flow and eliminate the strokes as well as how it sits to dry.

As always, details and reproducing them can be challenging - but once overcome they are rewarding.
I'll look at the set I have in the garage next time I go out. I'm pretty sure, like Jeff says the were sprayed with some sort of template or mask in place and have soft edges.
MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:32:08 PM »
The way I learned to spray wheelcovers is to tape the areas, then trim the tape to expose the area you want painted by using an X-acto knife (carefully, of course).  Doing it that way, you can get the exact area you want when you spray.  It does take time, but it looks good when you're done.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline toohey

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:32:56 AM »
OK I finally got a result I'm happy with.

For the outer circle, instead of trying to lay down a paint line with masking tape, I simply covered the whole area in masking tape (3M) and used a simple compass to mark the inner and outer paint lines and carefully used a scalpel (thanks Laurie) to cut along the lines and spray painted. 

For the inner circle I found the easiest method was to use the flat black enamel paint from the spray pak then thin it 50/50 and use a syringe to place the paint in the groove. I found having the paint that thin it flowed nicely out of the syringe (no needle used) and settled into the bottom of the groove. The excess on the sides of the groove can simply be polished off once the paint has dried.

Thanks again for all the replies
Matt
Dearborn 68.5 CJ