Author Topic: Idler Arm Restoration  (Read 3093 times)

Offline BBs70fastback

Idler Arm Restoration
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:16:25 AM »
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, A/C

I see that NPD sells upper and lower bushings for 1970 idler arms.  Does it work well to replace these bushings and use the original idler arm vs. a complete replacement?  I am trying to keep the original parts where possible.

As far as evaluating the condition of the bushings, my idler arm has no up and down play in it, but the bushings are weather cracked.  Does the “return to center” bushing issue apply to power steering idler arms?  If so, which bushing is supposed to be so stiff you cannot turn it by hand?  I can turn my upper bushing (the end that attaches to the mounting bracket) by hand.  Or is it the bushing on the other end that is supposed to be very stiff?

Also, the threads past the nut on the end of the mounting bracket that contains the upper bushing has raised marks that appear to prevent the nut from being removed.  Can the bushing be replaced without removing these raised spots on the threads?

Thank you,

Barry
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline newapple

Re: Idler Arm Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
Yes even though you have power steering you need the correct idler arm bushings (actually) on P/s cars it's more important!     The bushing that mounts to the centerlink is the "stiff' one

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
Also, the threads past the nut on the end of the mounting bracket that contains the upper bushing has raised marks that appear to prevent the nut from being removed.  Can the bushing be replaced without removing these raised spots on the threads?

Thank you,

Barry
Besides they other good info given  the nut and thread issue is one that you have to improvise and re stack the nut after reattaching. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline chockostang

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
The 67-70 Power Steering idler will have C7ZA 3355 B cast in the arm,  As well as FoMoCo or FORD on the other side.  The Frame Mounting bracket will not have a hole  between the mounting holes--     See a Hole,  a Non Ford piece.
Bushings,  NAPA has the Bushings for a original C7ZA Idler.

The Bushings are Tough to get out,  but can be pressed in by a local machine shop.  Hint here!  Don't get the orientation screwed up when pressing in the bushings--Won't tell you about that.

Dan @ Chockostang

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
The idler arm with the extra slotted hole in shaft is original ford manual steering with pink code where power steering is yellow.