Author Topic: Grey Coil Springs??  (Read 3102 times)

Offline BBs70fastback

Grey Coil Springs??
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
Here are pictures of my coil springs before and after evaporusting, off my 1970.  I assumed I would find a lot of black paint under the rust, but did not.  Just found dark grey, phosphate like color.  (note that I did have some black residue after evaporusting, but it seemed like black liquid from the de-rusting process, not paint like I have seen on other parts).  Another post mentioned that all the black paint would have flexed off over the years, and so even if you didn’t find black paint, they should be black.

Interesting how the paint markings held up better than anything else.  I flecked off the paint markings to check for black underneath and found none.  Would the dark grey springs be proper/possible for a 1970 Dearborn??  I also assumed the paint markings go on after the black paint??  If the paint markings went on first that might explain the absence of black under the markings.

If the dark grey is correct, was that a phosphate finish or something else?  (not against painting them black, just trying to be accurate).

Thanks, Barry
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Grey Coil Springs??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »
If the dark grey is correct, was that a phosphate finish or something else?  (not against painting them black, just trying to be accurate).

The phosphate coloring is likely IMHO the results of the oil quenching process used in hardening steel for use on parts like these. What you found is pretty typical from the ones I've cleaned and found over the years. Had at least one worker describe the front coil springs as being phosphate in color during a discussion

The color can be a very dark gray to an almost black - this may have differed slightly on how dirty (how used) the oil bath was when the springs were dipped.

I've used the liquid gun bluing for years for this purpose - followed by a protectant oil while others use things like Insta-Black.

Example (Yes zert fitting were removed before it was done)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:17:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:44 AM »
Thanks so much for the response and picture!  Do the paint marks go on before the bluing or insta-black?
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:20:54 AM »
Thanks so much for the response and picture!  Do the paint marks go on before the bluing or insta-black?

Like with any part (and how it was originally) the finish of the part comes first and then any pretty ;) paint mark. Then you can choose to oil or protect it in your own way
Jeff Speegle

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »
Do the paint marks go on before the bluing or insta-black?

MAN !  I would "gun blue" over those marks - they are nice !!   (So many "over restore" with incorrect strokes or worse (tape and spray) )

Mark
P.S.  You don't always see 100% of them anyway
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
MAN !  I would "gun blue" over those marks - they are nice !!   (So many "over restore" with incorrect strokes or worse (tape and spray) )

Good idea - maybe evapo-rust the springs and then recolor them
Jeff Speegle