Author Topic: Rules on Paint to Reproduce Factory Finishes  (Read 1734 times)

Offline sparky65

Rules on Paint to Reproduce Factory Finishes
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »
I found this quote in another post and thought it would be nice to start a new topic rather then derail the old one.  8)

One consideration should be that MCA is currently considering changing the concours rules so that the use of any paints to reproduce the factory finishes would receive some deductions if the judges find it.

Something to consider.

In my mind this is unfortunate for those of us in parts of the country where non-paint finishes require much more maintenance then the painted surfaces.  But I understand where thy are coming from since I have seen many painted pieces that hardly look close to the original finish.  Its just too bad they cant find a middle ground without banning the use of paint.  I know for myself I am starting to look to the  concours driven class for the short term only because I will never finish my car if I try to go higher right now.  I assume painted reproductions would still be allowed there.  Down the road when I have more time I hope get there but right now I don't have the time for that challenge. Lame excuse I know.  ;D
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rules on Paint to Reproduce Factory Finishes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:58:35 PM »
I was concerned to but returned from the meeting to find that many of my painted "natural" parts on a recent car had rusted. Not sure if it was where or how the car was stored (we have very low humidity here most of the time).  Removed, refinished the parts without paint and oiled them. Apparently some of the paint it and forget it was not going to last.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Rules on Paint to Reproduce Factory Finishes
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »
If this is implemented, it would only apply to concours trailered cars to start.  Driven concours would be allowed to have parts painted to look like the proper finish.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin