Author Topic: leaf springs  (Read 3382 times)

Offline mach1one

leaf springs
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
got a chance over the weekend to restore my 69 shelby leaf springs that had never been removed from the car. I found a rectangular piece of hard thin plastic between the the lower small shelby stamped leaf and the one below it. it measured about 5 inch by 2inch and was centered around the leaf spring bolt. I also noticed that the bolt itself had been sheared at its end. was this a factory shelby only thing to prevent the nut from comming loose? My springs only had 2 straps and I could not find any remnants of paint ID marks. Also of interest was that the shelby part #'s were only stamped on the visible side of 1 leaf. The other side was stamped on the inner non visible side of the small leaf. the car in question was built 3/69. Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
got a chance over the weekend to restore my 69 shelby leaf springs that had never been removed from the car.....the car in question was built 3/69.

I found a rectangular piece of hard thin plastic between the the lower small shelby stamped leaf and the one below it. it measured about 5 inch by 2inch and was centered around the leaf spring bolt.

Yes have found the same insulator "pad" on others

I also noticed that the bolt itself had been sheared at its end. was this a factory shelby only thing to prevent the nut from comming loose? My springs only had 2 straps and I could not find any remnants of paint ID marks.

Have seen some that appear to be cut with something like bolt cutters and other not done that way. Not sure if there was a reason or something one worker did

Yes the third (mustang) clamp was left off when the short leaf was added

Also of interest was that the shelby part #'s were only stamped on the visible side of 1 leaf. The other side was stamped on the inner non visible side of the small leaf.

Could it be that the worker switch that side (installed it up side down)?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline AJ

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 02:03:11 PM »
Thought i?d post these pics of my late feb GT500 leaf springs as I restore.
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline AJ

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 02:05:31 PM »
More pics
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.

Offline AJ

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 02:12:54 PM »
One way to soak springs using 3 gallons of evaporust
Adrian Jacobs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 04:00:05 PM »

Hats off to you for putting in so much effort. Think I might have used foam for at least the inner block areas but we all work with materials we're comfortable with. A+ for effort on your part for sure
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 09:30:43 PM »
got a chance over the weekend to restore my 69 shelby leaf springs that had never been removed from the car. I found a rectangular piece of hard thin plastic between the the lower small shelby stamped leaf and the one below it. it measured about 5 inch by 2inch and was centered around the leaf spring bolt. I also noticed that the bolt itself had been sheared at its end. was this a factory shelby only thing to prevent the nut from comming loose? My springs only had 2 straps and I could not find any remnants of paint ID marks. Also of interest was that the shelby part #'s were only stamped on the visible side of 1 leaf. The other side was stamped on the inner non visible side of the small leaf. the car in question was built 3/69. Lu
69/70 Shelby only used 2 band clamps on each side of the leafs . I see the white Shelby unique ID marks on the front bushing end of the leaf in the picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline AJ

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 11:12:53 AM »
The band clamps from my car 2per side had a symbol stamped on  them.  Sort of looks like a flower vase  guessing a makers mark.  Similar shape but smaller in size as the stamp as on my shortest leaf springs.
Adrian Jacobs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 05:28:36 PM »
Another pictures of the flower pot/vase. Agreed that the marking identified the supplier on these parts

Jeff Speegle

Offline Dennis Y

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 03:13:20 PM »
It's called a keystone. See, living in Pennsylvania all these years taught me something contrary to my parents beliefs. ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 04:13:04 PM »

Hats off to you for putting in so much effort. Think I might have used foam for at least the inner block areas but we all work with materials we're comfortable with. A+ for effort on your part for sure

Thought "key stones" were a foundational items used in certain types of constructions.   Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dennis Y

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 12:33:11 AM »
Pennsylvania is known as the Keystone State due to it's role in the founding of the United States.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 08:10:14 AM »
Thought "key stones" were a foundational items used in certain types of constructions.   Thanks for sharing
You might say that the proper springs are part of a good foundation for the car...
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 05:43:59 PM »
Found the same on my car. Replicated it with a tool I made.

70 CJ

Online dkknab

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 10:40:13 AM »

I'm working on restoring my leaf springs with Evaporust too though my tub is not as well done as yours.  After treatment what are you gong to do to finish up your springs eg sanding etc?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662