1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

64.5 mustang gas cap

(1/3) > >>

macdude67:
Can someone tell me when they started to put the cap retaining cables on the 64.5/ 65 Mustang gas caps. I have a mid june of 1964 Mustang and I wondering if it does or does not supposed to have the cap with the cable retainer? Car came with a 66 cap so thats obviously not correct.

CharlesTurner:
The fuel filler neck is unique for the non-bail gas cap.  If someone just switched the cap, maybe you still have the original filler neck?  The 64.5 filler neck has all oval holes for the screws.  The later filler neck has 1 circular hole and the rest oval.

Not sure when the switchover was to the retaining cable, but the old style caps were used at least until early June '64.

kutzoh:
I've got a late June build date and have the early style fuel filler neck.

Greg

macdude67:
Thanks everyone. You were right someone put a 66 cap on it but left the original neck which has all oval holes.

GrampsMan:
My 64.5 convertible is a June 2 Dearborn build and has the cable on the gas cap. I've owned it since 1967 so it is original.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version