Author Topic: 15 month rebuild completed  (Read 2086 times)

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
15 month rebuild completed
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »
Hey everyone!

Wanted to share some pic's and info on the 15 month jouney into bankruptcy...Lol.  Was a real trip, full of ups and downs, dispare and joy.  Sure learned a lot.  We have aprox 700 miles on the rebuild now and no leaks!!  A first for me!!  She runs real strong and drives like she did back in the day.  We are real happy how she sorted out. No problems other than a temp gauge that needed a tweek to get working right.

Thanks to Jeff and all the other members who answered questions, provided parts, and gave some great advise.
Please let me know what you think and if I missed or could improve anything.  :)

We started to just refresh the engine when we started oil fouling # 4 & 8 cylinders.  Of course we found a lot more to do once the entire drivetrain was removed!   :o
Man that 428cj can hide a lot of nastyness under the hood!

Here's what we did:  Russel Baker Racing in Miami, OK rebuilt the shortblock and heads.  I put it together, David Kee in Texas rebuilt the 4 spd toploader. Joplin driveshaft restored the shaft. I rebuilt the 9" third member, steering box and upper and lower a arms.  All steering linkages repaired/replaced. Power steering hoses, replaced, pump and ram rebuilt. Brakes completely gone through. M/C brass sleeved and rebuilt. Proportional valve rebuilt. All the wheel bearings were replaced. Removed and replaced the rusty floorpan and fuel tank. Massaged the firewall and inner fender panels. Repaired the front frame. All interior panels and fold down seat cleaned and repainted and chrome trim buffed. Repaired the door hinge pins. replaced the carpet, sail panels and body plugs. Rechromed all the instruments panels and console. New shocks. Trunk detailed. All new stock exhaust with a Waldron imposter hi-flow muffler.

See all the pic's in the gallery http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=myimages;u=1397

Brett
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: 15 month rebuild completed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
NIce attention to detail and quality in your choices !!

Looks like you built it to drive and enjoy it.   ALL old cars, motors and stuff that is 40+ years old are like forensic science.   You get to see what happened, what was done and why it did it AFTER THE FACT !

Mark
P.S.   Still lots of "summer time" to enjoy that car.   Sturgis show next week??
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »
Very pretty - now you get to reap the rewards of all those challenges - appears your at the finish line - enjoy!!
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:15:56 AM »
P.S.   Still lots of "summer time" to enjoy that car.   Sturgis show next week??

Nope, but we will be going to Mustang, Ok. on the 31st.

Very pretty - now you get to reap the rewards of all those challenges - appears your at the finish line - enjoy!!

Pretty?  Come on Jeff,  It looks cool man!  Lol   ;)
You know it will never be really done. Just done for now.

Hope to see you in Oklahoma!

Brett
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.