Author Topic: Assembly line trouble with Fastback deck lid hinges?  (Read 9357 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Assembly line trouble with Fastback deck lid hinges?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
So it appears  (not being there) to be installed correctly. I'm guessing that your reporting that its not being pulled down by the spring, you feel some help from the spring while you open the trunk and you may be able to hold the trunk lid in the up position with little effort and a single finger.

If so then the rod has possibly just become worn out and your in the market for another. When you install all of it back in place remember to paint the center anchor bracket and attaching screws body color since the rod and all the hardware were in place when the car was painted.  If yours is a San Jose car you should add the extra rubber insulator ("tootsie roll")  painted also as shown in the pictures below

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Satellite

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeff. At this point, I cannot tell if the torsion bar is doing anything at all. It does not feel like it is helping with opening the deck lid, holding it in the open position or even closing it. It just feels like it is along for the ride, serving no purpose whatsoever.

If I need a replacement torsion rod, how hard will it be to find one?

Thanks again!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
If I need a replacement torsion rod, how hard will it be to find one?

Think your only option is a used one (if I'm incorrect others will comment)

So don't pay too much unless someone is going to stand behind it being good.  Like everything when you need one they (any part) gets hard to find. Just part of the feeling of achievement when you get one :)

Start putting out a few wanted ads out on the different Mustang sites and see what happens
Jeff Speegle

Offline Satellite

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 10:43:54 PM »
Think your only option is a used one (if I'm incorrect others will comment)

So don't pay too much unless someone is going to stand behind it being good.  Like everything when you need one they (any part) gets hard to find. Just part of the feeling of achievement when you get one :)

Start putting out a few wanted ads out on the different Mustang sites and see what happens

Thanks Jeff!

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »
I wonder if you could heat it at the end to add a little twist to it to add some more torque.  Not much to lose if that one is so weak.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2018, 01:41:11 AM »
I wonder if you could heat it at the end to add a little twist to it to add some more torque.  Not much to lose if that one is so weak.

Would need to be very careful especially on how it was heated and cool. Might loose its temper and shatter when stressed

Know some platers have problems with this happening when Phosphating hood springs

Just a concern.
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
Would need to be very careful especially on how it was heated and cool. Might loose its temper and shatter when stressed

Know some platers have problems with this happening when Phosphating hood springs

Just a concern.

Yes that is concern, I would try twisting it in a vice a few times first to see what happens. As I said there is not much to loose with a worn out spring.

Offline Satellite

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
Yes that is concern, I would try twisting it in a vice a few times first to see what happens. As I said there is not much to loose with a worn out spring.

Not sure of what I am going to do but I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.