Author Topic: 67 San Jose -reassembling the rear valance  (Read 3296 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67-reassembling the rear valence
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »
I seem to be following roddster's posts around the forum.

I gather the valance is primed in red oxide (RO) on both sides.
It is then hung on either 3 (most common) or 2 screw holes in from each end.

Believe you are confusing the location of the two mounting screws (second or third position from the ends) with the number. I've never found a San Jose car with three mounting screws installed before exterior paint

The bracket is already in place. The bolt squished any sealant present.

Yes the rear bumper guard bracket

The outside of car is sealed/primed. The trunk is not, but gets overspray.

The trunk would have gotten some red oxide primer Items like the trunk lid (Mustang)  hinges back side of the taillight panel and a half** attempt to spray some on the quarters and forward towards the interior. No attempt to coat the surfaces with the gray primer filler

Some small amount might land on backside of valance.

Think you might be thinking exterior color?  Rear valance hung after light gray primer coat but before exterior color. Some dusting from overspray from all the paint floating around, what mist might be introduced through the gas tank opening, the ends hanging down and the paint passing through the open back up light holes and pushing off the rear cross member through those holes

Trunk is painted first and some overspray along tailight panel might land on back side of valance.

Normally the inside of the trunk and back side of the taillight panel got a decent coat of paint where it would be visible from standing and looking into the trunk. No effort was made to coat all the small hidden panels, supports and such especially towards the front, up under the rear window, bottom of the quarter panels and places like the corners where the quarter panel extensions and quarter panels meet
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• 20 minutes from Pacific Raceways
Re: 67-reassembling the rear valance
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
I've searched through the 1967 Mustang Part & Body Illustrations and -- of course -- the rubber washer (red arrow, second pic) doesn't appear in there.

But my question concerns the built-in nut (yellow arrow) in the bracket.
Here is the bracket all by itself:

and here it is waiting to be installed:

The yellow dashed line indicates where a bolt w/washer would pass through the body, the gas tank flange, some black goop and into the built-in nut. The hole in the body is smaller (0.4") than the barrel end of the built-in nut (0.5") so either you need to install a rubber washer on top of the built-in nut, we enlarge the factory hole to 0.5" or we simply allow the nut to dig into the body. The later just seems wrong.
Bill
3/2/67 GT350
6/6/70 0T02G160xxx B302
5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 2+2

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »
The yellow dashed line indicates where a bolt w/washer would pass through the body, the gas tank flange, some black goop and into the built-in nut. The hole in the body is smaller (0.4") than the barrel end of the built-in nut (0.5") so either you need to install a rubber washer on top of the built-in nut, we enlarge the factory hole to 0.5" or we simply allow the nut to dig into the body. The later just seems wrong.

I don't see any signs of a gasket or sealer between the cross member and the rear bumper brackets and see no problem with just allowing for the nut to be held tightly to the cross member as part of the retaining especially considering the second retaining bolt and j clip (in that location)

Would not enlarge the hole to allow the nut to pass through the hole. More likely to create a lose fit and not what was done originally
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• 20 minutes from Pacific Raceways
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 11:45:23 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I saw no evidence either, but the bracket had a bunch of surface rust. The repops are flat without the raised barrel and would actually work better -- flat against flat.
Bill
3/2/67 GT350
6/6/70 0T02G160xxx B302
5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 2+2