Author Topic: Rear Valence fasteners - 67 San Jose . What is the correct hardware?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline roddster

I am re-assembling my Oct 66' built, San Jose assembled, 67 GT 350.  You often can not go wrong using any AMK hardware.  The screw on the left is what AMK put into the parts kit.  The screw on the right is what I removed from the car, labled, and placed into a compartmented plastic case.   The large head of the dark screw also matches the imprint left in the gas splash shield the sits under the rear bumper. 
  So, the question is this: I have enough of the dark large headed screws to do the entire valence.  This is because I removed them from there.  (Jeff S: yes the two that need to be painted body color are).
   I figure this could be another early production thing that gets over looked.  I'm trying to keep the car original as much as posible.  So judges, what say you? :-\

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:43:04 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Rear Valence fasteners. What is the correct hardware?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »
Your valence was assembled and painted the same way as 64-66 Mustangs. The third (or second in some cases) screw from each end was used to hang the valence for painting and they were the only two painted body color. It is the wafer head type that is the screw on the right. The remaining screws were the ones on the left and were not painted. The size of the screws is documented (380934-S36) as being 8-18X1/2Pan drill tip gold zinc plated.
Jim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:01:47 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
    I am re-assembling my Oct 66' built, San Jose assembled, 67 GT 350.  You often can not go wrong using any AMK hardware.  The screw on the left is what AMK put into the parts kit.  The screw on the right is what I removed from the car, labled, and placed into a compartmented plastic case.   The large head of the dark screw also matches the imprint left in the gas splash shield the sits under the rear bumper. 

Just me but I don't recall ever  seeing/finding the large flat head screw used to attach the splash/light shield to the car. Have maybe a dozen original sheilds and none have an imprint from the larger screw (see pic below). BTW AMK is great in a pinch but the style and head markings they can fin dtoday often do not match what was originally used at all the plants - just my experience

So, the question is this: I have enough of the dark large headed screws to do the entire valence.  This is because I removed them from there.  (Jeff S: yes the two that need to be painted body color are).
   I figure this could be another early production thing that gets over looked.  I'm trying to keep the car original as much as posible.  So judges, what say you? :-\

Here are two pictures from cars from Dec 66 showing what was install during that period (both are consistent with the other). Appears all used the same screws during this period fro all of the valance screws and the plash/light shield

Third one in from the end painted  Green arrow

Your valence was assembled and painted the same way as 64-66 Mustangs. The third (or second in some cases) screw from each end was used to hang the valence for painting and they were the only two painted body color. It is the wafer head type that is the screw on the right. The remaining screws were the ones on the left and were not painted. The size of the screws is documented (380934-S36) as being 8-18X1/2Pan drill tip gold zinc plated.

Jim for 65-66 the type of screws used depended on the time period - not all like the "book " might indicate. Also the pan heads have been found on original cars in phosphate also on original cars.  Just what I've got pictures and notes of ;)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:58:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
The flat wafer screws are used for convertible well liners and some times buck tags. Never seen them on rear valance. I vote for pan head
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
Just me but I don't recall ever  seeing/finding the large flat head screw used to attach the splash/light shield to the car. Have maybe a dozen original sheilds and none have an imprint from the larger screw (see pic below). BTW AMK is great in a pinch but the style and head markings they can fin dtoday often do not match what was originally used at all the plants - just my experience

Here are two pictures from cars from Dec 66 showing what was install during that period (both are consistent with the other). Appears all used the same screws during this period fro all of the valance screws and the plash/light shield

Third one in from the end painted

Jim for 65-66 the type of screws used depended on the time period - not all like the "book " might indicate. Also the pan heads have been found on original cars in phosphate also on original cars.  Just what I've got pictures and notes of ;)
There is one thing that is constant, and that is Ford's inconsistancy.
I helped a friend restore a 67 A code Fastback built May 67 in San Jose. As in any disassembly and reassembly there are surprises. One surprise was the rear valence that was attached in the way I described above, two wafer head screws and nine pan head, the same way as my two 66 San Jose cars were done. Ford Design Engineering specified 11 screws, Ford Assembly Line Engineering specified two "odd" screws to hang the panel for painting, and then the original type. I can't remember if the 2nd or 3rd screws was the wafer head ones though. The big difference was the size of the nine screws, 8-18X1/2 for 67 and 10-12X3/4 found on my 66 cars. Why do I remember this? The 66 Body Assembly manual calls out the 8-18 screws so I ordered them from AMK, only AMK didn't carry the drill tip style so I ordered the standard pointed type. When I got around to using them, they didn't fit, too small, so I resurected the old one for a look-see and found they were the 65 type, 10-12X3/4 round/washer head. The 8-18 screws went on the shelf, but got pulled out for use on the 67.
Jim     
(Note: in the 64 and 65 Body assembly manuals, the assembly line instructions are to match-drill for installation, the 66 and 67 Body manuals don't have that note. As the 67 type was a drill tip, the pre-drill step was eliminated. It may have been intended for 66 Mustangs as well, but use up the old inventory first.)
(Another note: pan head screws as used by Ford or supplied by AMK don't have head markings. It's the threads per inch that are not always available.)
(One more note: from my "notes", a different type of screw, 10-16X3/4 Round/Washer (not listed in the AMK Guide) was found on a March 66 San Jose GT Fastback. The car now speaks Australian.)
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
Jim
If it were my car i would use the pan head.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
If it were my car i would use the pan head.

For at least this year and period - I too would go with original cars over the "books" ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline roddster

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
Thanks for the replys.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
I know this topic is really old, but I was looking up the correct finish for the back of my rear valance and here I am.

The rear shield on my Mar 67 SJ GT350 also shows marks for the larger flat screws. It's very stiff and brittle and of the right material, so I assume it's original. My disassembly sheet confirms the use of the large screws and is noted as "Large head self tap (1/2" Long)" -- a look in my box "bolts for the rear bumper area"confirm these screws are present.
The valance has the smaller pan heads, 5 of one length and 4 of a slightly longer variety.

I thought the use of the large flat screws was interesting on the OPs Shelby.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rear Valence fasteners - 67 San Jose . What is the correct hardware?
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Of course by four months later practices and hardware may have change on the line

Here is an example (back to the large flat screw style like what was used in 66 Mustang production at San Jose)  from a car built maybe a week after the pictures I posted above

Purple arrow = unpainted pan head  Green Arrow = body color flat well liner type screw.  Same screw was used to retain the over the door weatherstrip at the front end in 66-67

Jeff Speegle

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »
Just to confuse this even more..... I have seen the large flat head screws on quite a few early 67's attaching the valance. Most of the 67's as well as a few early 68's have the large head screws attaching the fuel/licence plate guard to the car.    Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
Just to confuse this even more..... I have seen the large flat head screws on quite a few early 67's attaching the valance. ............

San Jose cars?  Given your location I would guess the answer might be yes
And if so for all the screws?? Not just some?
Jeff Speegle