Author Topic: '69 GT Stripe locations  (Read 8722 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: '69 GT Stripe locations
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
Looks like it might be a Mach I with a repaint and GT stripe

Was a real GT, 4bbl 351W with 4 speed top loader. Drums all around, no PS no AC open 9" non Deluxe interior. GT Pop open gas cap. But boy was it fun to drive.  :-)
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 10:38:56 PM »
well mine is in the paint shop and I have a reproduction gold stripe to go on it.  If I can't figure it out then I will put it on since that's what was on it when she came to me.  nothing on the MR except GT equipped.  no build sheet.  I don't really have a choice but to think it is correct?
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »
See pages 20-21 for color combinations and tape stripe styles.

Update: Added link to document on Ford's media site:
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2013/11/18/1969_Mustang_Data.pdf
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:46:10 AM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 12:06:45 AM »
That is a world of information.  Thanks so much.. that definitely makes me rest better.. I can't wait to print that out and study it.  Every time I think I've read it all, Someone shows me a whole other world.  Gold it is!  Now, I wonder if I read the test question right?  If I remember right it ask what colors where available for the tri-stripe was on a 1969 with GT equipped option.? and black and white was what they where looking for. Am I miss interpreting "Tri -stripe"?
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »
Note that there is no publication date (that I could find) on that document. My guess it that it was printed before the start of the model year. It's possible that some of the colors/combos or other details may have changed or been dropped during production.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
Does the preproduction list of suggested colors of stripes to exterior colors (think we all know that these were not required ;) show by the asterisk that the Gold was only available with the Grande package

Do have a Black exterior with Gold interior GT fastback with white stripes in my pictures. Stripe was replaced at some point but think the owner likely replaced what they found originally (car has made the auction rounds currently or in the past couple of years). IMHO if gold had been original they would have jumped at the opportunity.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:53:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 10:28:23 PM »
Does the preproduction list of suggested colors of stripes to exterior colors (think we all know that these were not required ;) show by the asterisk that the Gold was only available with the Grande package

Do have a Black exterior with Gold interior GT fastback with white stripes in my pictures. Stripe was replaced at some point but think the owner likely replaced what they found originally (car has made the auction rounds currently or in the past couple of years). IMHO if gold had been original they would have jumped at the opportunity.

The asterisk note indicates stripes charted as "black" or "gold" were not single-color on Grande (either black+gold or gold+white). I don't read it as "only available on Grande". In the Grande section of the document it describes "special two-toned narrow paint stripe below fender line".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:33:57 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 10:52:26 PM »
Guess we need to find a salesman's  handbook from a couple of quarters or a few of the order forms to see if gold was available on GT's

Maybe even (not sure how accurate they really are) an Arm Chair estimator to see what it lists

Did find a copy of an early (June 68 so still preproduction :( order for but even though it has an area for "Accent Stripes" there are no colors or codes listed as there are for interior, tops and exterior colors and many other options

Interestingly there are many things listed on the sheets that are lined through and a note from (just guess) the dealer or salesman indicating that option was not available. On this sheet there are 6 different things lined through - include some exterior color choices and three "new" exterior colors added.

Looking at earlier years and 70's also I see no place to indicate a choice of tape stripe color other than the "accent stripe" color listed on the 69 version. Guess they would need to write a request and possibly even use the DSO system to get a particular color.

Jeff Speegle

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 05:36:40 PM »
Jeff, thanks for digging deeper. I did talk to the person I bought the car from (2nd) owner and he said he bought the car in 72 or 73 with the original everything and it had gold stripe then. He repainted in the 80s and ordered another gold stripe from local dealer to put back on.  Of coarse there is still no actual proof.  Im researching it as well. Sounds like it is what it is.. I m just wanting concrete proof before I stick it on again.. best wishes

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
The Ford Part number for 69 Gold GT stripe is C9ZZ-6520000-P.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »
Looks like that might do it ;)

Thanks for looking it up Bob
Jeff Speegle

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 01:42:53 AM »
jacks car I showed was clearly a gold stripe car from the remains I found and we used the NOS kit Bob shows.   Also interesting in the Ford break down on the stripe colors shown, it does not show the red stripe available on a Black jade car and I have seen two original GT's with the red stripe.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0