Author Topic: 1965 "A Code" with Factory Dual Exhaust - H-Pipe Problem  (Read 5588 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1965 "A Code" with Factory Dual Exhaust - H-Pipe Problem
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
I think Motive was one of the aftermarket manufacturers, one of the ones that fit well.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I think Motive was one of the aftermarket manufacturers, one of the ones that fit well.

Hi Charles - I have 2 H-Pipes from Motive and they both fit terribly.  One purchased in 2010 as part of an entire exhaust kit and one purchased separately in Jun 2013.  I also sourced a Precision Exhaust H-Pipe.  Precision Exhaust H-Pipe is identical to Motive part (the companies have a bit of history that ties them together and use the same designs).  Once I get the H-Pipe from Scott Fuller Reproductions I'll compare it to the Motive H-Pipes that doesn't fit well.  Based on some digging it appears that Motive supplies about 90% of the repro H-Pipes for sale today.  The picture that I supplied in the post is a Motive H-Pipe as well.  I confirmed with the supplier.

Regards,

Ron

1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 01:58:35 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Maybe Brant at Va Mustang or Scott H. from NPD might know more about this.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 09:46:08 PM »
UPDATE: I've found a solution for an exact, truly NOS quality reproduction of the "A" code H-Pipe with 2 minor differences from Scott Fuller Reproductions. The '68 GT-350 H-Pipe itself is completely identical to the 289 "A" code H-Pipe.  The only difference is the placement of alignment tabs where the H-Pipe meets the intermediate pipes are in a slightly different spot on the pipe and the part number is of course for a 68.  However, once the  H-Pipe is installed you can't even see the part number.  Other than that the dimensions, bends etc. of those 2 H-Pipes are completely identical.

The installation was flawless. The only change I needed to make was to the "kit" intermediate pipes.  They were too long for the proper H-Pipe. Bottomline don't waste your money on the Motive or Precision Exhaust H-Pipes. They just don't fit. The Scott Fuller H-Pipe is outstanding. It's premium priced but it fits like NOS. I'll post pictures later this week.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open