Author Topic: Master Cylinder Rebuilt Nightmare  (Read 1859 times)

Offline RadBOSS

Master Cylinder Rebuilt Nightmare
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
A gutted period correct M/C w/stop bolt housing was sent to be rebuilt (sleeved and new guts installed).

Unknown to me,  the rebuilder was expecting the MC with the original guts and I guess has the lip seals and o-rings to refurbish.

W/O advising or asking,  they decided to gut a new Raybestos MC and substitute the parts gracefully FOC in my Bendix body.  On questioning,  they really did not know if the parts were an exact match to the Bendix unit (length etc.).  By carefully measuring, I found  the booster rod bore is 0.010" deeper than the Bendix replacement no stop bolt M/C I was replacing with the period correct one.

I later disassembled the whole damn thing,  along with my defective Bendix service replacement M/C to compare the guts.  Except as noted above,  I found the parts to be generally dimensionally interchangeable.

Part of the the rebuild process when sleeving is they open up the resevoir compensating ports as the sleeve has the smaller metered hole for each resevoir.  I assume enlarging the compensating ports in the body allows for some positioning tolerance of the sleeve when being installed.

On real close examination, I discovered they must have broken off the drill bit when enlarging one of the compensating ports in the body and just left it there for me to discover.  That port is pretty occluded now, but not totally blocked.

Further inspection revealed they had not bothered to change the flared tubing seats.  They assure me they had.  Look at the picture and see for yourself.

In conversations with the rebuilder we finally reached a plateau and twisted off,  so he has no sympathy or feeling of responsibility for thier crude workmanship or omissions.  Leaving me now to find someone who can fix this.

After my experience,  for any of you who are interested in using his services,  here is his contact info:

(MPP) Midwest Power Products, Inc
1254 Leah Rd, Unit D
Morris Illinois 60450

(877) 966-0550

Be sure to ask for Rich Hlady.

Offline RadBOSS

Re: Master Cylinder Rebuilt Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
A gutted period correct M/C w/stop bolt housing was sent to be rebuilt (sleeved and new guts installed).

Unknown to me,  the rebuilder was expecting the MC with the original guts and I guess has the lip seals and o-rings to refurbish.

W/O advising or asking,  they decided to gut a new Raybestos MC and substitute the parts gracefully FOC in my Bendix body.  On questioning,  they really did not know if the parts were an exact match to the Bendix unit (length etc.).  By carefully measuring, I found  the booster rod bore is 0.010" deeper than the Bendix replacement no stop bolt M/C I was replacing with the period correct one.

I later disassembled the whole damn thing,  along with my defective Bendix service replacement M/C to compare the guts.  Except as noted above,  I found the parts to be generally dimensionally interchangeable.

Part of the the rebuild process when sleeving is they open up the resevoir compensating ports as the sleeve has the smaller metered hole for each resevoir.  I assume enlarging the compensating ports in the body allows for some positioning tolerance of the sleeve when being installed.

On real close examination, I discovered they must have broken off the drill bit when enlarging one of the compensating ports in the body and just left it there for me to discover.  That port is pretty occluded now, but not totally blocked.

Further inspection revealed they had not bothered to change the flared tubing seats.  They assure me they had.  Look at the picture and see for yourself.

In conversations with the rebuilder we finally reached a plateau and twisted off,  so he has no sympathy or feeling of responsibility for thier crude workmanship or omissions.  Leaving me now to find someone who can fix this.

After my experience,  for any of you who are interested in using his services,  here is his contact info:

(MPP) Midwest Power Products, Inc
1254 Leah Rd, Unit D
Morris Illinois 60450

(877) 966-0550

Be sure to ask for Rich Hlady.

As a followup to my original post regarding MPP's shoddy work,  I ended up sending the MC to Karps Power Brake to rework as necessary.  On reassembly and bench test they had a problem with the primary piston.  It turns out,  that after sleeving the MC,  MPP did not put the snap ring groove in the right position (too deep into the body).  This prevented that piston from releasing hyd pressure (because of piston to port mis match).  The only option to salvage the numbers matching MC for my BOSS was to shorten the rod end of the piston by about 0.090".  Talk about a incompetent lack of ownership screwup.

Offline zray

Re: Master Cylinder Rebuilt Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
Goldline brakes do it right, and their finished products are stunning. 

I had them restore my '66 GT350 calipers a few years ago. They were perfect. I believe they will restore other brake parts as well. They will finish them out with the OEM finish or a modern heat resistant polymer, whatever you wish.

http://www.goldlinebrakes.com

Z.
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body