Author Topic: Ford Master Cylinder Caps 1967 - 1973  (Read 15269 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Ford Master Cylinder Caps 1967 - 1973
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
I don't have one to sell, just curious what they are going for.  Thanks.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 07:35:40 AM »
Wow, i just dug out my midland for Oz390, and found my master cyl cap had the outline of sticker under a crappy repaint!

is this a repro sticker? i also found round tabs on the rubber?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:27:45 AM by tim_morrison82 »
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
Any idea where this cap came from/application? Venting appears to be like the 67 version though printing list DOT 3 fluid.

Tim - don't recall ever seeing a black decal being offered as a reproduction
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:41:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
this is from the car in my signature.

14th dec 67. power disc brakes. the old paint is coming off like rubber in places.

I can also make out lettering under the sticker, but I cant make it out.. I can see brake written. maybe it says disc brake? I will keep trying to read it
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:10 PM »
this is from the car in my signature.

14th dec 67. power disc brakes. the old paint is coming off like rubber in places.

I can also make out lettering under the sticker, but I cant make it out.. I can see brake written. maybe it says disc brake? I will keep trying to read it
I am surprised that the ESA marked sticker would be original on a Dec 67 built car. I would have expected to see a C6 marked decal on this early of a car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
Tim, I think your master cyliner lid may be original paint as well as the decal. For some reason the brake fluid attacks the silver ink but not the red . The one on my 67 looks very similar.

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 10:42:17 PM »
its possible that some is original paint. if its all original paint, tge sticker would have been painted over at the factory. it started out covered in paint

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
jeff, just had the picture of that cap show up.

I can see much bigger lettering under my sticker. I will try again to read it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 02:02:19 AM »
jeff, just had the picture of that cap show up.

I can see much bigger lettering under my sticker. I will try again to read it.

I would expect that you'll find it almost twice the size and the same wording as seen in this caps. First one you can make out the wording (67 style and wording) through the decal and the bottom picture shows the wording clearly since the cap has never been installed. Just noticed that the first shot is similar to yours in that the silver area looks black due to the angle or something

The cap I posted is a puzzle for me as it has the wording from 71-up period yet the venting is from the 67 style. Figured someone might recognize it
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:03:54 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 02:12:18 AM »
thats the one Jeff! cheers!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »
The caps I have seen were painted black and then a sticker applied. I have some vintage photos showing same. Disregarding any delaminating silver from age/brake fluid ,I would assume any black paint found on top of the sticker would be from a later application .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
I would tend to agree that any paint on top of the sticker was put there at some point during its life, not from the factory. 

Jeff, I believe the master cylinder cap you are showing is from a Mopar application.  Remember, the caps themselves fit the same between certain Mopars and the Ford applications. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »
Jeff, I believe the master cylinder cap you are showing is from a Mopar application.  Remember, the caps themselves fit the same between certain Mopars and the Ford applications.

Sure the caps as well as other parts got swapped around allot at the mass rebuilders. Will work in a pinch (until the correct one is found) for someone since the decal will cover the wording ;)

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »
Marcus, great article. I have an original 68 cap that has the W on the top larger sloped surface. It appears to have another letter stamped in the area that Scott's pic has the W. Cant make it out put I will pull it off and look closer. I'll send you a pic

I just found one with a "W" as mentioned by Tim.  When I did a compare to another, I found that the other had the "W" on the inside.  Comparing the two, the location and spacing of the stamping is different - I put a ruler up to highlight the difference.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2018, 01:52:04 AM »
I just found one with a "W" as mentioned by Tim.  When I did a compare to another, I found that the other had the "W" on the inside.  Comparing the two, the location and spacing of the stamping is different - I put a ruler up to highlight the difference.
I would venture to say this later style cap with the channel in the middle was when the transition to the plated the zinc silver. The earlier cap without the channel in the middle was the zinc dichromate. Also the early cap had the C6 marked sticker and the later style lid had the ESA sticker. Of course you can only see the color on the bottom side because the top side is painted black along with the master.