Author Topic: Pinch weld black out?  (Read 8810 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

Re: Pinch weld black out?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 11:23:25 PM »
Hi guys,
Is the pinch weld always blacked out? I have a 10/64 SJ Rangoon Red Convertible.
Thanks.
Dan.
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Hi guys,
Is the pinch weld always blacked out? I have a 10/64 SJ Rangoon Red Convertible.

That is what Ford specified and what workers were suppose to do and inspectors were to check to make sure it was there.

We've seen examples where it was missed and corrected later down the line but these examples are rare.

Paint would have also struck to the floor, seat pan, frame rails directly behind the rocker as well as "blow outs" at the front and rear ends of the rear wheel wells (over body color there) and onto the rear frame rails behind the rear wheel wells

Applied before the front fenders or other parts added to the body after exterior paint
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 02:44:02 AM »
That is what Ford specified and what workers were suppose to do and inspectors were to check to make sure it was there.

We've seen examples where it was missed and corrected later down the line but these examples are rare.

Paint would have also struck to the floor, seat pan, frame rails directly behind the rocker as well as "blow outs" at the front and rear ends of the rear wheel wells (over body color there) and onto the rear frame rails behind the rear wheel wells

Applied before the front fenders or other parts added to the body after exterior paint
To add - The black out was for a good reason. The pinch weld is often jagged and wavy. The black out visually makes it less noticeable. It is a good thing. It is better visually to have it then not have it. That's why Ford did it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »
Thanks guys,
My car was once repainted in 85 by the PO's father who has passed away and actually passed the car down to him so I could not tell if it had it or not. I will definitely put it on there now. I too believe that it looks unfinished without it but was not sure if all years/plants had it done.
Dan.
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build