Author Topic: 70 Spring Perch Bushings  (Read 1519 times)

Offline BBs70fastback

70 Spring Perch Bushings
« on: October 20, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
I have cleaned up my spring perches and pressed in new bushings.  I am trying to add the four bent "tabs" into the end of the bushing, that would prevent the bushing from backing out.  What is the best way to do that?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Barry
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline BBs70fastback

Re: 70 Spring Perch Bushings
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:24:03 AM »
Here are before and afters on the spring perches.  I was having trouble holding a punch in place to add the tabs, and that is why I asked for ideas.  I started wondering about using a shop press to bend the tabs in, but could not think of any easy way to make a die shape to put on the press ram to squish down onto the end of the bushing and make the tabs.  ( I would think the right shape would press all 4 tabs in easily, without the risk of a hammer/punch/chisel slipping and dinging up the part.  Easy issue for a machine shop?)

What I ended up doing was turning the end of a 3/4 inch chisel on its side, and then took a small sledge to beat the "tab" dents into place.  With the chisel on its side, I was able to control it better.  Probably not the best way but I got it to work for me.
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Spring Perch Bushings
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing - hopefully it will help others

.....................  Probably not the best way but I got it to work for me.

I think I've used that exact term here a number of times ;)

Fully understand
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)