Author Topic: 5F07D with auto. Proj build date - July 28 64 - New member intro  (Read 1471 times)

Offline big_mike

Hey all - stumbled on this site looking for background information on my 1964 1/2 D code auto coupe.  Great information here!  And I love the old pics of the assembly lines.

I recently got my coupe and thought about going the restomod way with the '64, but after going over much of the car it is almost all original.  The PO told me it was restored over 20 years ago by his father in law - and it was painted another color (original was Cascade Green, it's now a burgundy).  It sat for a few years - it is not in perfect shape, but it does run and is all there.

The carb, intake, block, heads, steering box, fenders, hood, hood hinges, trunk all have dates around July 1964.  The warranty plate says it's a July 28th, 1964 build date.  Three days from the end of the 1964 run at July 31st! (or at least close to around that date - is there still a discussion on when they actually changed over?  I had a September '64 coupe way back in high school that had some '64 stuff on it but mostly '65 stuff).  Anyway, the distributor is not original (has Autolite on it and I can't make out the stamping on it) so I'll be on the search for a date correct one (but not in any hurry). 

So I'm going to try and keep it original as much as I can.  The block and intake are painted blue (wrong color as I found out here).  It also has aftermarket edelbrock valve covers and air cleaner - already removed them and ordered a gold bottom hipo air cleaner and open lettered COBRA powered by ford valve covers (for that over the counter look).  I also found some old 14" cragar torque thrust knock-offs with a date casting of 1969 - though I would love to "upgrade" to some style steel wheels.

I'll mostly be lurking around reading everyone else's posts and hopefully learning more and more about my coupe!  First big thing to tackle on it will be the brakes (safety first) but it has drums all around.  Would upgrading the front drums to disc be a big deal as in originality and safety?  I've read differing posts, so I might just stay with the drums for now and get them in good shape.

Thanks for the great site and resource.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:32:25 PM by J_Speegle »
1964.5 289 4V Auto Coupe
5F07D
Color S = Cascade Green
Trim 46 = White with Black Appts
Date 28G = July 28th
DSO 43 = Rockford
Axle 1 = 3.00
Trans 6 = C4 Auto

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: New to this site - dealing with a 1964 D Code Coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »
Hey all - stumbled on this site looking for background information on my 1964 1/2 D code auto coupe.  Great information here!..................

Welcome Mike - glad you found us and I hope you find the site, members and information helpful in your efforts if you choose to focus on restoring your car.

I'll mostly be lurking around reading everyone else's posts and hopefully learning more and more about my coupe!  First big thing to tackle on it will be the brakes (safety first) but it has drums all around.  Would upgrading the front drums to disc be a big deal as in originality and safety?  I've read differing posts, so I might just stay with the drums for now and get them in good shape.

Yes any change from what was stock effects your originality and we can discuss for days how safe you can or can not make a 50 year old car. Some owners find the cars as they were designed fun and enjoyable because they feel so different and even though scary in some situations once they learn to dive the car not like they would their 2014 but as everyone did in the 60's. It will be your choice of course ;)

Not sure how much you've driven the car over the years maybe the first place, as you mentioned, is a good quality rebuild on the system with some good shoe material and test from there. Remember you'll need to give other cars a bit more room and compensate for greater braking distances but its similar IMHO when driving a 4 cylinder car needing more time to build up speed to merge onto a flowing (at 70- plus) freeway ;) Just got to learn to drive the car their not all the same

Again welcome to the site - sure others will jump in with their experiences. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline big_mike

Re: New to this site - dealing with a 1964 D Code Coupe
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the response Jeff.  I'm not going to race it or drive crazy (I'll leave that to my other car that I autocross with).  Just driving it the few times I've had it out, it def is a different "experience".  :)

After looking over the car and taking lots and lots of pics, I've found a few things on it that puzzled me.  It must've had hood pins, I found the holes under the hood and holes in the radiator support.  No big deal, can fix those.  Then when looking under the dash (and removing wires from a cheap add-on alarm system that wasn't working) I found a clutch pedal (that was cut up high with a torch) still installed.  The previous owner had no idea that was there.  But the original 5 bolt auto trans is in there now - and the warranty plate on the door says it is an automatic trans.  Weird stuff, but I guess a LOT of these cars were hot-rodded all the time in their previous lives.
1964.5 289 4V Auto Coupe
5F07D
Color S = Cascade Green
Trim 46 = White with Black Appts
Date 28G = July 28th
DSO 43 = Rockford
Axle 1 = 3.00
Trans 6 = C4 Auto