Author Topic: Cig lighter / ash tray rivets: reattaching the faceplate  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Angela

Cig lighter / ash tray rivets: reattaching the faceplate
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
I'm looking for some advice concerning how to reattach the faceplate (painted sheet metal) to the ash tray assemly (zinc plated). These two pieces were originally held together with four solid-rivets (I think they were 1/8" dia) which I removed so that the ash tray could be replated. Two put them back together I either need to use pop-rivets (which would obviously be wrong in appearance) or purchase new solid rivets. The latter of which is beginning to seem difficult because I am not sure how one would be able to get a hammer and a punch inside the ash tray to collapse the rivet. Is it possible to collapse these rivets using a pair of vise grips? I believe I could get a vise grip plier into this space.

Or, other ideas?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Cig lighter / ash tray rivets: reattaching the faceplate
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
I've had a 67 dash ash tray on my workbench for over five years looking for a strong enough arm with the appropriate bends to get a rivet mandrel inside. I've mastered the 64-66 ash trays, dash and console, but I'm still looking for a method for 67 and 68.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:09 AM »
It is done with a special riveting tool made for the application. If you want to send me your ashtray I will do it for you.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »
Looking through ebay for used ashtrays for sale, I noticed about 50% of them show these rivets painted, the others do not have paint on the rivets. Are both observations correct or should the rivets always appear bare?

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
Rivets are bare. If you don't want to take Tim up on his offer to do them for you then I will offer to do them for whatever Tim is charging, if anything! I have the correct rivets and tool as well.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:16:27 AM »
Rivets are bare. ............

+1 - others are examples of a IMHO less than original effort
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
How long should these rivets be? 1/4" ??? I'm looking into buying some I assume that 1/8" diameter is standard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:19 AM »
If for some reason (?) you wouldn't want to take either Tim or Pete up on their offers (which is good info to know, by the way), you could use threaded truss head rivets. These would look fine from the sides, but obviously incorrect from the inside where the nuts would show.

While on this ashtray subject, it was noted in the original Post that the ashtray was just recently zinc plated. IMO, my original pieces appear to have more of a Cad appearance than zinc. To me, these two finishes age differently, and mine seem to be more like CAD. Which is correct ? Were there Plant differences, or running changes ?

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
If for some reason (?) you wouldn't want to take either Tim or Pete up on their offers (which is good info to know, by the way)...

Yep! I have a few (good) reasons...
1.) I need to restore my grille also, same style rivets there (possibly EXACTLY the same?)
2.) Shipping (including the grille) and potential for damage in shipping after partial restoration of my pieces.
3.) The age-old adage I use about tools...If you ever need it for more than one job in a reasonable amount of time (generally a year's time frame)...Better buy it (maybe rent it if it's pricey)
4.) I have an idea I wish to try on an inexpensive alternative to buying a tool that will more than likely sit around and collect rust...I'll share my results once I determine it is viable. (HINT:
  )
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:29:00 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
Update: PRACTICE RUN on an extra Ash Tray!

My fabricated tool works fantastic! I posted some other pics under another thread about repainting the grille mesh on a 67.

The dies (anvils) were not cheap but they typically are not included in a "tool" purchase either, the "dimple" die (anvil) in particular is usually extra when buying the factory-produced tool. ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:33:41 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 04:26:09 PM »
My fabricated tool works fantastic! I posted some other pics under another thread about repainting the grille mesh on a 67.
I like it. I'm trying (procrastination is a major challenge) to adapt a 3/8 plate trailer bracket that's bent into a 180 degree rectangle box (Picture a "C") to use with a 1 ton arbor press (Harbor Freight) . It's not a priority as I don't have a 67 but I've got a couple of ashtrays from friends to play around with.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 11:00:09 PM »
How long should these rivets be? 1/4" ??? I'm looking into buying some I assume that 1/8" diameter is standard

There is a exact formula you must use to determine length.
First you measure the thickness of two items you riveting. For my ashtray I came up with:
Ashtray   0.035
Cover      0.038 

According to the tube rivet chart (yep, there is one) the clinch (or rollover) on 1/8 rivets is 0.075.
Add that to the 0.063 and we have a length for an 1/8 rivet of 0.138.

Find that length in the 1/8 rivet selection. There is a slight amount of give as the dimensions don't always work exactly.

Note too that as the diameter of the hole increases so does the head diameter.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion