Author Topic: Master Cylinder cap  (Read 3401 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Master Cylinder cap
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
The judging guide for the '67 says it should be semi-gloss black with de-bossed warning and decal.  I have seen some with embossed warning and not a decal, what should be correct?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Master Cylinder cap
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
You can also look at the article I posted that is here in our library, and also on my website.

http://www.anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/1/7/6/3176630/master_cylinder_caps_1.5.pdf

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
Interesting, thanks, so just paint the pretty zinc dichromate, nicely embossed ones semi-gloss black and stick the decal on, got it.  You wonder why Ford went to all the trouble of making them so nice to begin with if they we just going to slap the paint and decal on it?  Oh well, assembly line wonders never cease.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »

The plating actually acts as a protective finish for the master cylinder cap to help against corrosion...especially on the underside. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »
Plus it wasn't Ford - master cylinders were produced by a outside supplier I believe under contract to provide them to Ford
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
Didnt the decal change with the recall? I think later cars get the ESA decal instead of the C6AZ
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »
Didnt the decal change with the recall? I think later cars get the ESA decal instead of the C6AZ
That is correct but don't ask me what the change over date is.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:45:37 PM »
Interesting, thanks, so just paint the pretty zinc dichromate, nicely embossed ones semi-gloss black and stick the decal on, got it.  You wonder why Ford went to all the trouble of making them so nice to begin with if they we just going to slap the paint and decal on it?  Oh well, assembly line wonders never cease.
No, a embossed cap (raised letters) would be incorrect. You start with a debossed (letters sunken down)cap ,one without the vent (70 and later) cut in the top and then paint black and add sticker. FYI there is a early and late version of the debossed cap too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »
Thanks Bob, I was not aware of the difference between embossed and de-bossed (even my auto spell check won't allow that word without a hyphen).  And I have found the so called non-crossover style, guess those were '67s?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
Thanks Bob, I was not aware of the difference between embossed and de-bossed (even my auto spell check won't allow that word without a hyphen).  And I have found the so called non-crossover style, guess those were '67s?
I thought so from your writing use of the word and is the reason I mentioned it. Yes ,the cross over was later in 67 production but sure when. No small vent cut into top ether (70 and later style).

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 06:02:32 AM »
For this question, I thought it tied into this thread...

I was curious how well the Scott Drake Reproduction compares to the C7AZ-2162-A original in Marcus' article. Has anyone compared them, seen each "up close & personal"? It looks OK in the only image I have found online, but we all know how the reproductions fail when we get a look at them in person. I am hoping to hear comments of details such as the location and accuracy of the vents, are they destiguishable as "different" to the naked eye?

Either I use this reproduction or I continue a search for an original. Another hen's tooth I imagine...Keep in mind I am not going "Thoroughbred" on my example so "good enough" is acceptable. I am hoping somebody else who has tried one can share their experience.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:58:20 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
The repro looks good from that pic.  Does it have a vent on the inside edge of the smaller hump?

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 01:57:07 PM »
I seem to remember going down this road a while back and the Drake part is stamped into the metal instead of embossed.  Can you tell from their website photo?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
I seem to remember going down this road a while back and the Drake part is stamped into the metal instead of embossed.  Can you tell from their website photo?
The picture shows stamped into the metal the same way the assemblyline cap was.