Author Topic: Still need pics/parts list of 68 non-tilt steering column guts in the collar  (Read 1369 times)

Offline 1965GTFB

Putting a 68 fixed column together that was from a donor and minus a few parts when I started.  Have the 2 collar pieces, square headed bolts that hold collar to tube, 2 screws the hole top and bottom collar together, 3 screws that hold turn signal switch, bearing and rubber piece that goes around bearing, and snap ring on top and bottom of bearing.
What else should there be, especially to hold the bearing in it's pocket so the shaft can not pull out of the top at all?
Installing a TCP rack which requires using their lower shaft combined with the original upper shaft to retain the collapsibility.  Without some thing to retain the bearing in the pocket it seems like the upper shaft will just pull right out of the lower shaft if the steering wheel is pulled up.  Already called TCP, they tried to help but did not have info on what would have originally been the column.

Offline ruppstang

I find a assembly manual and a service manual a necessity when working on these cars. I believe that there is a heavy coil spring that sits on the bearing and it held in place by the steering wheel.
Marty 

Offline mustang390

+1 on Marty's advice. That being said, send me a pm at mustang390@cox.net and I'll send you some pix

Offline Oz390

On the ones I've done the big spring is between the horn ring and steering wheel.  That entire assembly goes on the shaft over the switch.

The turn signal switch has a metal plate on the backside that covers the bearing.  Nothing between the switch and bearing but a circlip. 

If the switch is removed the shaft can push up and force the bearing out of the seat.  As its a collapsible shaft guess FoMoCo figured the shear pins (look like a form of injected plastic/nylon) would snap before the shaft could put enough pressure on the switch and wheel to push the bearing out. 

With the wheel bolted on its all fairly well contained.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute