Author Topic: '69 rear spoiler questions  (Read 19581 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '69 rear spoiler questions
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 05:00:24 AM »
So does anyone have pictures of an original 69 Boss with a rear spoiler to show what the mounting with the original hardware looked like?  I was not able to come up with anything.

Looking for something in place  (top side - bottom side?) , installed on a trunk lid?  Not much to see except the heads of the bolts and the bottom of the washers. Hardware is in #6. Reinforcement tubes, special (well different) bolts and the washers. Should also have the original gaskets somewhere round here - lent them out to have them reproduced

Let me know exactly what you need and I'll see how I can help
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »
Ideally I would like to see the underside of the trunk lid with the spoiler installed to get a visual how they modified the trunk lid for the 69 Boss 302 spoiler installation.  I assume the trunk lid was modified for the spoiler. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
Ideally I would like to see the underside of the trunk lid with the spoiler installed to get a visual how they modified the trunk lid for the 69 Boss 302 spoiler installation.  I assume the trunk lid was modified for the spoiler.

Just four drilled holes, through the inner and outer skin with each one.   Will see what I have in the photo vault :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
So does anyone have pictures of an original 69 Boss with a rear spoiler to show what the mounting with the original hardware looked like?  I was not able to come up with anything.

Good morning Marcus!  Try posting the request over on the Boss 302 forum ~ probably more likely to find guys with an original setup.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »
I have the 1969 31" spoiler with the 6 rivets. It appears that the assembly (spoiler, pedestals and pedestal cover ) were painted prior to assembly and that the rivets are left bare metal. is this the correct way  to restore?

Sorry it took so long to find some support and post these

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »

The challenge is that so many have been changed or altered in some way - or judge not great pictures. Currently mine has a 70 spoiler and trunk lid so can't use that as a correct example

Original (warped) rear spoiler/wing some other non-original details in picture

Another example

But other examples

Right hardware - poor picture

Right hardware - better picture - incorrect paint details in picture :(

Wrong spoiler/wind hardware

Jeff Speegle

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
Great pictures....thanks for posting.  So those spacers you posted earlier I assume were somehow put between the inner and outer trunk lid skins.
Marcus Anghel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
Great pictures....thanks for posting.  So those spacers you posted earlier I assume were somehow put between the inner and outer trunk lid skins.

Well not exactly the hole that was drilled allows the spacer to be inserted, so technically they sit between the base or outer skin and the washer. Bleive the design/plan was that once tightened there was enough compression on the gasket to seal the water out and keep the spoiler in place.

Haven't measure the diameter of the outer and the inner holes to see if there is a slight size difference.
Jeff Speegle

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 01:50:56 AM »
Ok ok....that makes much more sense then.  I see exactly what you are saying now. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 07:45:30 AM »
Well not exactly the hole that was drilled allows the spacer to be inserted, so technically they sit between the base or outer skin and the washer. Bleive the design/plan was that once tightened there was enough compression on the gasket to seal the water out and keep the spoiler in place.

Haven't measure the diameter of the outer and the inner holes to see if there is a slight size difference.

I would assume, (I loathe that word) from an engineering standpoint, that the upper hole would have to be smaller. I am suprised that this wouldn't be a fully understood (one way or the other) by the 69-70 experts here on this forum. Are there really that FEW orihinal examples with this spoiler in 69?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 08:35:31 PM »
.,...... I am suprised that this wouldn't be a fully understood (one way or the other) by the 69-70 experts here on this forum. Are there really that FEW original examples with this spoiler in 69?

Only a fairly small number of Boss 302's were built in 69, plenty of them ordered without the spoiler and fewer today have the original spoilers in place. Most were swapped out for the 70 style when the original started to bend/warp and reproductions become available. Add to that the number (during "restoration") that had the trunk lid replaced and once in place owners that never have a reason to remove to look at the inner details.

Well that's my excuse  ::)

Of course some would say the same about the 67 guys and the lack of solid info on the convenience or tilt option - Sorry too easy  :)

Plenty of areas for research to keep us all busy
Jeff Speegle

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:03 AM »
Nobody has all the answers...thats kind of the point here on this forum I think to share some of the expertise we all have.  As for this 69 Boss spoiler mounting, yes, I have to agree thats pretty rare that you find one that has not been messed with over its life.  I have alot of pictures I have taken over the years and could not find anything.
Marcus Anghel

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
Nobody has all the answers...thats kind of the point here on this forum I think to share some of the expertise we all have.

oops, sorry if I seemed out of line here...like I said, I loathe that word, certainly in this situation, more of a "me" thing than a "u" thing.  ::)

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 07:56:04 PM »
No problem.  I myself don't consider myself an expert....there is some things I know better than most, and other things I am not as familiar with, so an open forum discussion like this helps everyone, and alot of us learn from it.  Just imagine a dark world before there was forums and the internet.  Its a pretty scary place. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 01:14:09 AM »
This should help, original installation instructions.