Author Topic: 1967 Dearborn Undercarriage and other paint questions  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Ryan Fox

1967 Dearborn Undercarriage and other paint questions
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:55:42 AM »
Hello all:

I am in the process of restoring a 1967 GT-390 built at Dearborn on Dec. 2, 1966.  The car will be a nice period correct driver and not a concour exact example.

Had a couple of questions and was hoping some original owners of cars from this plant/time could chime in........

What color should the undercarriage be?  Red oxide or slop gray...   I prefer the look of red oxide but want it to be period correct. 

What black paint (interior is originally black) should I use on metal dash and inside doors?

Finally, what black paint should I use on the plastic trim in the back seat area i.e. side covers, trap door.   I will be going with mostly new items and don't want it too glossy.

Thanks for the help!
Ryan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Dearborn Undercarriage and other paint questions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:00:07 AM »
Don't have enough samples to provide a good idea of what color they were using that day or week (red oxide or slop - not always gray that year ;)

Seen both used at Dearborn that year

The black on all the painted surfaces inside the car would have been the Dark Charcoal Metallic originally

If you use some of the brands or rattle cans of this paint you will find it covers poorly so most lay down a thin full coat of semi black paint first that a couple of light dry coats of the Dark Charcoal will give you good results
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Ryan Fox

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:22:09 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the info on undercarriage.   

Did not know the dash/door panels were dark charcoal.  Looks like a dull black color.   

What brand of paint/color code would be a good match?     
Should I use this process on all the black interior pieces including the large plastic panels in backseat (fastback)? 
Final question - The repo plastic large panels come in a black color.   Is this color correct or will the panels need to be sprayed the correct charcoal color?

Thanks
Ryan

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the info on undercarriage.   

Did not know the dash/door panels were dark charcoal.  Looks like a dull black color.   

What brand of paint/color code would be a good match?     
Should I use this process on all the black interior pieces including the large plastic panels in backseat (fastback)? 
Final question - The repo plastic large panels come in a black color.   Is this color correct or will the panels need to be sprayed the correct charcoal color?

Thanks
Ryan
I am going to jump in here since Jeff hasn't responded yet and mention that besides the black vinyl door panels the lower plastic trim on a deluxe interior seat ,the hardbacks ,and the kick panels are a semigloss black instead of the dark charcoal metallic like all of the other painted dark charcoal metallic interior pieces. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
Its a team effort :)

Agree with the different tint/tone since these (like the console if you have one) were molded originally rather than painted
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)