Author Topic: 67 GT500 Thermactor questions  (Read 19580 times)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: 67 GT500 Thermactor questions
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

Here is the bracket I bought;

In my junkyard wanderings over the years, this style without holes is what I have seen most often on 1967 Fords (non-Mustang). The same bracket with the two holes, I have consistently found on 1966 pickups, T-Birds, and other Ford Mercury with FE engines.
Draw your own conclusion, the two styles of alternator mounting bracket may have been used during 1967 in California or other areas where thermactor was required on a Mustang.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
Looks like I've  got a third version

Will post once I get the chip out of the camera. Like the version with the holes and the oval  FoMoCo  version along with the short engineering number (with the odd dashes at both ends)

So possibly ?  the same supplier ?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:46:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »
Took one of the Thermactor pump rear cast mounts out today so here is a picture of one of those. Attached to the engine when it was painted like the small block versions

Jeff Speegle

Offline 2112

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »
So the one I have is non FE and possibly non Mustang?

There are several Small block pump brackets on the bay now. Are those correct for a Big block also? They appear to be one piece as opposed to the two you pictured Jeff. Or are they just bolted together?

Edit, nope, they are one piece;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Ford-Mustang-GT-GTA-Shelby-Cougar-Xr7-ORIG-289-THERMACTOR-SMOG-PUMP-BRACKET-/161018131415?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257d6db3d7&vxp=mtr

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »
So the one I have is non FE and possibly non Mustang?

Yours is for a FE - we're just discussing if the holes or non- holes is for a specific application, just a different supplier or something else. We need to dig a little more IMHO for any conclusion if we'll find one in the short period

There are several Small block pump brackets on the bay now. Are those correct for a Big block also? They appear to be one piece as opposed to the two you pictured Jeff. Or are they just bolted together?

No small block and big block are completely different. For Mustang the small block used a one piece cast iron mount for both the alternator and thermactor pump. The big block used the stamped steel front mount for the alternator and thermactor pump and a much smaller rear cast mounting bracket (shown above) for the rear mounting of the therm pump

Since your doing a 67 Shelby the one small block piece you will need is a diverter/backfire valve with three ports - not the regular Mustang 390 (2 port) version. 

Please ignore the red paint - don't know why its there :(
You can still make out some of the greenish protective coating applied to the tubes, top was originally zinc dicromate

You've reported you already have picked up a filter canister - that was originally a 240 6 cylinder piece  adapted for the Shelby big and small block application likely IMHO due to the open element air cleaner that got certified on these cars in California

Picture of a NOS one out of a 66 dated box

Jeff Speegle

Offline 2112

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
Thanks Jeff for the difference between the two I had been watching. Just grabbed this off the bay;

Offline 2112

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 03:50:28 AM »
A smog pump stamped 18171 means it was built on the 181st day of 67' shift #1, Correct?

That would make it a bust for a 1st week of Feb 67' car.

Offline 2112

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »
Would anyone here have good pictures of the Thermactor correctly installed on the car?

I have these two which most of you have already seen;

Would love to see more detail, especially of the passenger side, the pump/filter and the plumbing in that area.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 12:04:46 AM »
Would anyone here have good pictures of the Thermactor correctly installed on the car?

I have these two which most of you have already seen;

That is #962 I believe so a ways off from your cars time period

Are you looking for routing?  Hard to get clean pictures - not allot of room in that spot and allot of stuff to get in the way.

Should have some pictures have some pictures on a stand (from the 67 Shelby convertible)  but that is even an earlier car btu guess we can discuss the differences and other times)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 2112

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
I am # 875 so I guessed incorrectly that I was probably close.    ::)

Is the wire hoop running over the hose just to hold the hose in position?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 02:12:55 AM »
I am # 875 so I guessed incorrectly that I was probably close.    ::)

Opps  :-[ thought the 2112 related to your cars number. Then this example is pretty close in fact it was built in the same group as your car at Ford in fact yours was completed the day before that example. Did help with getting the system back  on #910 a couple years back up in Canada. the vast majority of cars in group #2555 have had their systems removed over the years from the ones I've got pictures from

Lucky you since we have copies of the add delete sheet that will list the 390 parts that would have been left off and the parts they substituted in their place. Do you happen to have a copy of your own?

What related (what was changed) from the 390 system is a fairly short list - maybe 4-6 parts. Some not installed until the car reached Shelby where things were adapted and installed

Is the wire hoop running over the hose just to hold the hose in position?

Not a wire but the small vacuum hose - just reused/repositioned on the Shelby's. The loop is similar to the distributor advance line (and that loop) used on the early Mustangs. Thia one attaches to the backfire valves small port on the side  Not unusual to find them bend all out of shape though the shape was modified a little from the Mustang application

Odd angle but here is one attached to the valve

And one on a 390 Mustang/Cougar

Jeff Speegle

Offline 2112

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 02:26:07 AM »
Wow, that vacuum tube has a tortuous path from point A to point B!

I don't have the add delete sheet, where would get one?

Oh I have been using this screen name ever since I got on the internet;

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 06:05:41 AM »
Opps  :-[ thought the 2112 related to your cars number.

+1
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 2112

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
+1

Perfectly understandable,  I should have been more clear.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
Wow, that vacuum tube has a tortuous path from point A to point B!

I don't have the add delete sheet, where would get one?

Oh I have been using this screen name ever since I got on the internet;

That vacuum tube route in that picture would not be applicable to your particular Shelby application .  The delete sheet was for a series of Shelby cars built all the same way (with the exception of color)not your particular car like a conventional build sheets. I have yet to find or hear of a conventional build sheet found in a 67 Shelby although it was no out of the ordinary to find a add+delete sheet in one. They were typically found in the car under the carpet. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby