Author Topic: 68 door tag  (Read 2398 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 door tag
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:23:18 AM »
I looked at a 68 GT500 today and found that it had a double stamped door tag. I have never seen that before so I got a picture to share.
Marty

Offline jwc66k

Re: 68 door tag
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:30:39 AM »
"Hic!"
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:14 AM »
Very cool!

Very common at the start of 1968 Shelby production. The bottom half was supposed to be snapped off and used for the warranty card.

I seem to recall that oddity lasted about two weeks before they started snapping them. You may have also noticed it does not say "special performance vehicle" on the tag.

Did you take any other photos?

I would expect the front valence to look very different from a production part.....among a number of other items....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:30:46 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:08:51 PM »
I looked at a 68 GT500 today and found that it had a double stamped door tag. I have never seen that before so I got a picture to share.
Marty

Have examples from a number of plants and years where the worker did not detach the warranty label from the door tag as you show in the picture in your post
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »
Very cool!

Very common at the start of 1968 Shelby production. The bottom half was supposed to be snapped off and used for the warranty card.

I seem to recall that oddity lasted about two weeks before they started snapping them. You may have also noticed it does not say "special performance vehicle" on the tag.

Did you take any other photos?

I would expect the front valence to look very different from a production part.....among a number of other items....

I did not take any other pictures because the car was partly disassembled and buried under a lot of stuff.

I own #602 it was scheduled to be built on 12-16-67 and was actually built 12-02-67 it has the bottom snapped off and also does not say special performance vehicle. 

I would very much see pictures showing the differences in the early and late valances.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
Your wish has come true....  ;D

There are several variations of the 1968 warranty tags. I don't care to discuss those in open forum, but the valence information is available.

Here is an early front valence. At first I thought these were reproductions, but after I recognized the patterns, I dug this one out of the scrap pile. The valence is two pieces. The upper "shelf" is separate (not shown here)

The back is fiberglass strands, not injection molded like 99% of all production 1968 parts. The factory paperwork refers to these as "hand laid". These were most likely created before the production molds were finished. The mounting points are square blocks, mounted with the same red-orange bonding agent used on the KR plenums. The raw fiberglass has a greenish tint to it.

Here are the other cars I have found with this style valence so far...

Hand laid fiberglass lower valence, 6, 37, 56 (all), 77, 101, 212, 232, 311, 523

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:54:06 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 01:04:10 AM »
Thank you Pete.
The car I looked at should be in in the high 500s some time I'll try to check the valance.