Author Topic: 1969 Mach 1 Dearborn build hood & fender edge alignment  (Read 2299 times)

Offline JSRoeth

1969 Mach 1 Dearborn build hood & fender edge alignment
« on: March 25, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »
1969 Mach 1 obtained 4 months ago. Not exactly certain what PO did however I believe the RH fender has been replaced and is not an original fender. When the hood is closed the center or middle section of the hood is higher than the top edge of the fender along the hood by at least if not more than the thickness of metal of the hood skin (3/16"). The corner by the cowl and the front corner of the hood at the fender lines up even with the fender edge. It almost seems like the hood has too much bow or curve when the hood is closed so to be flush along the fenders edge.
Question I have is were shims ever used under the fender along the top of the apron to raise the fender edge to allow the edges of the hood and fender to align smoothly?
I can push down on the corner of the hood at the hinge which closes the middle gap of the hood and the fender yet the corner of the hood by the cowl is lower than the fender edge.
I have read that the hinges can be worn after 47 years so if I replace the hinges with mint NOS I still wonder if that would allow the total edge of the hood along the fender would be completely even. Which is why I ask if shims were ever used under the fender.
This Mach 1 is a Dearborn build.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:53:50 AM by JSRoeth »

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: 1969 Mach 1 Dearborn build hood & fender edge alignment
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
I would need to see photos of your issue to see exactly what you are taking about. The only shims I have ever seen on 69 fenders are on the bottom heal to pull down the fender to match up the door. There is also a rubber shim on the back of the fender at the cowl panel that holds the cowl panel flush to the fender. I have never seen a shim in the apron area. How is the other side with the original fender look? The 69-70 hood alignment can be tricky and most don't line up that well. A good place to start is having a good tight set of hinges. I have seen even new NOS hinges have slop in the rivets and that will cause alignment issues. I had an original set of hinges restored and they have no slop in them and work great. Post a photo or two and let's take a look.   Chris
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »
I just went thru the hinge issue(pushing down in the rear). My body guy and I tried to adjust the hinges for over 2 hours with no luck. A senior body guy stopped by and had it fixed within 20 min. I was told my hinges were worn too.....but we got it. Note: we did elongate the body side hinge holes a little.
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »
1969 Mach 1 obtained 4 months ago. Not exactly certain what PO did however I believe the RH fender has been replaced and is not an original fender. When the hood is closed the center or middle section of the hood is higher than the top edge of the fender along the hood by at least if not more than the thickness of metal of the hood skin (3/16"). The corner by the cowl and the front corner of the hood at the fender lines up even with the fender edge. It almost seems like the hood has too much bow or curve when the hood is closed so to be flush along the fenders edge.
Question I have is were shims ever used under the fender along the top of the apron to raise the fender edge to allow the edges of the hood and fender to align smoothly?
I can push down on the corner of the hood at the hinge which closes the middle gap of the hood and the fender yet the corner of the hood by the cowl is lower than the fender edge.
I have read that the hinges can be worn after 47 years so if I replace the hinges with mint NOS I still wonder if that would allow the total edge of the hood along the fender would be completely even. Which is why I ask if shims were ever used under the fender.
This Mach 1 is a Dearborn build.

Fender has been replaced?

I read this as a bowed hood but like Chris said, a picture can be like 1000 words
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments